Thread: Woodworking between shops

Woodworking between shops

Hello all,

I'm currently in temporary housing and thought I'd share this for those who also are separated from their shop space for one reason or another.

I've been contemplating getting a rolling cabinet of drawers for storage and place to hold parts prior to assembly. This one was on sale at the orange big box and is 24" wide rather than the typical 18". For $250, I'd also recommend for anyone who wants a tool chest, but doesn't have time to make one.

Once I move, it will probably be used for household tools after I get the tool wall back up. In the meantime, it is something.. . if I had Ken's new traveling bench to go with it, I'd be pretty set!

I decided that some small scale work would be the way to go, so am working on a jewelry box I started a while back. Haven't sorted out a way to plane, but I also only have a couple more weeks to wait...

Best,
    Chris,

IMG_2652.jpgIMG_2650.jpgIMG_2651.jpg
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Chris,

A rolling tool box is a must have even if mine doesn't roll much anymore.

The traveling bench is so easy to take down and reassemble and takes up so little space when broken down I wish I had made one years ago for use when it is not convenient to work in the shop. Take the bench to the work instead of the other way around.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Hello all,

I'm currently in temporary housing and thought I'd share this for those who also are separated from their shop space for one reason or another.

I've been contemplating getting a rolling cabinet of drawers for storage and place to hold parts prior to assembly. This one was on sale at the orange big box and is 24" wide rather than the typical 18". For $250, I'd also recommend for anyone who wants a tool chest, but doesn't have time to make one.

Once I move, it will probably be used for household tools after I get the tool wall back up. In the meantime, it is something.. . if I had Ken's new traveling bench to go with it, I'd be pretty set!

I decided that some small scale work would be the way to go, so am working on a jewelry box I started a while back. Haven't sorted out a way to plane, but I also only have a couple more weeks to wait...

Best,
    Chris,

IMG_2652.jpgIMG_2650.jpgIMG_2651.jpg
    A rolling cabinet is important BUT for wood working? The caster can't take the chiselling!

4. I've made a few rolling tool boxes. Somehow, no matter how beefy the casters i use once i load it up with tools it can't really be rolled around much.

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    I've made a few rolling tool boxes. Somehow, no matter how beefy the casters i use once i load it up with tools it can't really be rolled around much.
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    This right here, lol.

Blog Entries
    image.jpg

image.jpg

I am moving too. This is the mobile, adjustable height, worktable I am working on (6’x22”). The base “frame” actually rests on the ground, when the threaded wheels are adjusted appropriately. There are qty 2 threaded 3/8” metal rods behind each stretcher too. I may use heavy threaded legs through the thick metal base to add support. I believe others, who use the Noden Adjust A Bench (AAB) base, have found that method to reinforce the base sufficiently for actual work. I plan to make a Roubo or movable Moravian style bench for heavy planing. Waiting to hear Ken Hatch’s final verdict on his heavier Moravian bench build. Long term this work table will extend other work surfaces, and provide an out feed for machines.

B5F9E677-9F8E-4D76-8956-A8981A22C828.jpg

I was thinking about putting this combo work surface, tool holder on casters. It was made from a leftover bathroom cabinet. Currently I am thinking I will just reinforce the MDF base. I may put 2x4 or 2x6 skids under it, both to reinforce it and make it easier to slide around. It serves as a higher work table for sawing and glue ups....

4E02D693-9F39-41A9-B81F-1153481987DE.jpg

These Toughbuilt sawhorses, have proven themselves for construction work & the AAB project.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 04-23-2018 at 12:43 PM.

I have the Milwaukee version of the rolling tool chest / work surface and love it. That along with a standing tool chest hold most of my non neander tools. In terms of hand tool work I think it could be used as long as you stay within its limitations. I feel like it would take a lot of heavy chisel chopping to damage its casters, on the other hand I dont use mine for that. Work holing is an issue as its not really set up for vices or hold downs, but I could see a bench on bench surface solving that for small work.

One think I found very useful before I made my real hand tool work bench was a jaw horse. I used it a lot for holding work to saw and plane, you can also throw a piece of 2/12 in it and use that as a chopping surface. I do also have the dewalt version of those toughbuilt saw horses with a detachable table top which is a handy surface.

I have tried it out for a bit of light chopping above the wheels. Let's just say that it is doable, but Roubo is nowhere in it's name. My lack of a decent vise is also a real deal, but fortunately, I'm nearing the end of purgatory. If it was going to be much longer, the traveling bench, a planing beam and/or saw horse would have bumped my current project. In fact, I have lumber rough milled for a saw bench similar to Brian H.'s ready to go, but the jewelry box was also in progress and is a bit of immediate gratification with minimum investment in shop set up time.

For anyone wanting to jump in the hand tool game, Ken's bench would be a perfect match and with a couple simple saw benches, there's not much I couldn't imagine being able to tackle.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Brandon, I found your comments about using the Jaw horse interesting. I have one, only used it a couple of times for outside projects, never thought of using it inside for more delicate work holding as you indicated. Your comments have inspired me to give it a try. Thanks for mentioning it.

It works reasonably well. It was my main work holding tool when I used to build bows. This winter when I did my workbench build I used it for all of my sawing and planing and also to hold a platform to chisel.

Even now with a bench build it is set up right next to the bench and I use it a lot. My bench is a Nicholson style with no vice (although I do have a moxon) but many times quickly dropping it into the jawhorse with the foot operated clamping mechanism is really handy. The one issue is that it can move on you a bit when when planing, especially if taking deeper cuts on larger stock, so I try to get a foot in one of the front leg holes at the bottom. If that position does not work you can put a 2x4 through the hole and get a foot on that to hold it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    I have tried it out for a bit of light chopping above the wheels. Let's just say that it is doable, but Roubo is nowhere in it's name. My lack of a decent vise is also a real deal, but fortunately, I'm nearing the end of purgatory. If it was going to be much longer, the traveling bench, a planing beam and/or saw horse would have bumped my current project. In fact, I have lumber rough milled for a saw bench similar to Brian H.'s ready to go, but the jewelry box was also in progress and is a bit of immediate gratification with minimum investment in shop set up time.

For anyone wanting to jump in the hand tool game, Ken's bench would be a perfect match and with a couple simple saw benches, there's not much I couldn't imagine being able to tackle.

Best,
    Chris
    Chris,

I installed the main slab on the travel bench last night. This morning I tried to make the bench rack or scoot and there ain't no way. It is rock solid in either direction. While I love my French/English bench, I'm not sure, but if I didn't have a bench I think the Moriavan would be my first choice over either a French or English bench. It's cheaper to build than the French and easier to build than the English. Add in the fact it can be broken down for moving or storing and it becomes very attractive. This build has been a little slow because work has been insane and having the kids visiting but my guess is the bench could be built in less than five man days (~40 hours) and that is with a lot of breaks for coffee, tea, and/or doggie butt scratching.

ken

Hi All,

I can't remember the situation, but do remember having to work on something like the tool cabinets pictured. It was so long ago that I don't remember exactly what the devise I had to work on was, but it may have had casters I believe. Whatever the situation was, the legs or casters, or whatever, they were not anywhere near stout enough.

What I did to solve the problem, was to block the device up on four wooden blocks so that the weight was on the sidewalls where they sat on the blocks. The weight was not on the flimsy casters or legs.

That approach steadied up the work surface no end. Hope this thought was not so simple minded as to offend any ones intelligence.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 04-25-2018 at 2:45 AM.