Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How are you using your CNC machines

How are you using your CNC machines

Just curious, wondering how they are fitting into hobby and light pro shops. I can understand a cabinet shop, but I can't figure out there niche in anything else. Are they just a fun tool to play with or do they really make your work better/more efficient? Not judging, I'm all for having fun if that's there main function.

Thoughts?

I bought mine to play with in my retirement. I’ve done a few paying jobs with it but it’s mostly for fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Made my own CNN. I use it to make creel wings the most.

Steve, there's definitely increased interest in CNC. You can even see that in SMC's CNC specific forum area which is getting busier. I recently made the plunge and took delivery of my machine a few days ago. My intention is for it to add to my operation and permit me to do both one-off type work as well as create marketable products and services. Some of that will be pointed at the equestrian world where I've already established a reasonable local reputation for high-end, furniture quality tack storage. Signage, jump standards and some other things will join the tack storage in my offerings. On the "one-off" side of things, I plan on using the machine to create certain furniture parts, carvings for architectural use and may try my hand at some guitar building, too. So for me, it's a mixture of work for others and enjoyable pursuits for me.

I honestly don't feel that CNC is a passing thing, either. It's a logical extension of technology that's permitting "mere mortals" to make things for their own pleasure as well as for profit in ways and volumes that have not been possible manually. I'm a believer in "end result" so if CNC can enhance ones enjoyment of woodworking, then by all means explore it. It's also important to understand that "things don't make themselves". It takes a lot of work to create things with CNC. Yes, it's "different work" than with other methods, no no less valid and often no less challenging when a complicated design is on the table.

Here's the new addition to my shop just made ready to go...

IMG_0697.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

They don’t seem cheap either - about $12k for that one Jim?

Well north of that, Matt, as equipped. I opted for a 1.7kW spindle and a few other options. It's amazing how quiet the spindle is compared to a router. Any noise requiring hearing protection is coming from the cutter, not the motor, with a spindle.
    --

Jim and Bruce, those are awesome machines, I could definitely think of a few fun things to try with them! Kevin, what's a creel wing?

I can imagine using one to precisely place index points on a project to make assembly a breeze. I don't think I could justify the expense, but i'd be a blast try.

I built ours in late 2016 and one intention is for making acoustic guitar templates, forms, fixtures, etc. very accurately and also make some acoustic guitar bridges, cut the neck profiles, and anything else that makes sense on the CNC. To me it's a tool in the shop, nothing more. Now, it may be the coolest tool in the shop but I use it when it makes sense, not just because it's there. We opened our Etsy shop in December last year and many of the items we offer are cut on the CNC. Things like trivets, signs, and things I'm developing now are because we have the CNC. These things wouldn't make any money at all if I had to cut them entirely by hand but they can be profitable with the CNC and very enjoyable to cut. Each time I design something new I look forward to making the design better and more efficient in my toolpath design such that the time to cut gets reduced but the quality of the finished piece remains the same or increases.

For instance, one thing I do under contract is make B-52 tails for a trophy shop. These get laser engraved later but I make the blanks for them. They had been getting them from another local woodworker who cuts them entirely by hand. When I started doing them I took the time to draw the tail in Fusion 360 and the first 8 I made took 12 minutes each to cut out of Walnut. Here we are a year later and I now have it down to where I'm cutting two at a time and the total time for cutting is 6 minutes. That's a four-fold increase in production/cutting time and the bonus is the tail is much better in edge smoothness now that it was cutting one in 12 minutes. Another bonus is that the laser shop no longer has to test each tail when they do the engraving because every tail I give them is identical to the previous tail. They have cut their laser time down by about 6 to 8 minutes for each tail. I also figured out how to cut the antenna on the side and I cut those 10 at a time (that's the roundish bump of Walnut above LA).

Here's what they look like on the CNC (helps with what I've described above) -
    008 - Two tails, profile.jpg

And finished -
    028 - Ready for presentation - blurred names.jpg

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Steve, at this point, you can get involved with CNC at a much lower cost point than you might pay for a really nice, deluxe cabinet saw including a really nice hobbyist type machine in the $2K range that has enough cutting area to do much more than small things. There are even lower cost options, too. So if you have a real interest and think it could enhance your enjoyment of the hobby...make it happen.
    --

David,

Your B-53 trophy tails are really nice and an innovative idea.
    Thanks for sharing.

I don't feel that I would get satisfaction from carving or cutting out furniture or cabinet parts with a CNC machine. It just wouldn't seem like woodworking for me; more like computer programming. I have always felt that creating mortises, tenons, and other types of joints with a CNC would be really useful; just for increased accuracy and quality. Since I found the Domino, I feel I don't need that additional capability for most things I do. I see CNC uses for production shops. In fact, it would seem almost a necessity for those who make even part of their income from furniture, cabinets, signs, carving, etc. if, for not other reason, than to compete from a price standpoint. Also, just to be clear, I'm not criticizing, just indicating my preferences for making furniture and cabinets the more traditional way. I have bought a number of tools over the years because they are cool, great tools, and I have used them infrequently over the years; certainly not enough to get my money's worth. So, I would never criticize anyone for buying even if it is only because they want to experiment and because it would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Steve, at this point, you can get involved with CNC at a much lower cost point than you might pay for a really nice, deluxe cabinet saw including a really nice hobbyist type machine in the $2K range that has enough cutting area to do much more than small things. There are even lower cost options, too. So if you have a real interest and think it could enhance your enjoyment of the hobby...make it happen.
    That decrease in price is what got me thinking Jim. I recently finally took the time to finally figure out some CAD software (after resisting for years), and now was wondering how you guys were using the technology in the practical world. Thanks to all for sharing, you got the wheels turning. Not sure if I could utilize one right now, but I'm sure one will take up some of my floor space at some point in the future.

Made a pair of locking register calipers:

WIN_20150914_192800.jpg

WIN_20150914_214307.jpg

(modeled after the pair in H.O. Studley's tool cabinet)

Need to find the time to remake them in brass w/ a bit of additional ornamentation --- the file (as an SVG) is on the Shapeoko wiki ---- possible to post it here?

Some nice work on here, so many talented people.
    I'm a bit different as I run a machine for a sign shop that specializes in custom sign systems for the resort industry. Just got one of the new Apex models from MultiCam about 9 months ago, 8hp 32k rpm spindle, 6 tool auto changer, vacuum table, very fast, very smooth, my dream machine.
    multicam.jpg
    Some signs I have done with it. This photo doesn't do it justice but this is an acrylic lighted box, 2" deep, metallic paint over white Acrylic then routed the pattern through the paint, backlit with LED's, letters are push-thru.
    hilton1.jpg
    Routed MDF with cold metal finish.
    sample2.jpg
    MDF and cold metal finish, shells are routed and cast from a master mold then applied.
    sample1.jpg
    These sanddollars were routed out of 3 layers of 2" HDU then glued together and faux finished, they go in a water feature at a resort restaurant in St. Lucia.
    sample3.jpg
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Great machine. Did you get that from Jack? Very knowledgeable and an all-around good guy.