Thread: If You Squint

If You Squint

It kinda looks like a workbench. I couldn't resist putting the parts in place to check out how it will look when finished.

travelBenchBeechWithSlabs&ChopA180422dscf2670.jpg

Most of the bench is set in stone at this point. Base, Long Stretchers, and Vise Backer are 12/4 Poplar, the Short Stretchers and Back Slab are 8/4 Poplar, the front Slab is 8/4 Beech, and the Chop, IIRC, is 8/4 Red Oak. The Vise Screw is from Lake Erie Toolworks.

There are still several days of work to go. The two slabs will need "blind pegging" and the pegs to hold 'em. There are two more mortises to chop, both shallow but a little long, and the mortise for the vise guide needs cutting into the Vise Backer. The Vice Backer also needs a 2 5/8th hole for the vise screw. The slabs will need final trim and tops trued before I can roll the credits.

Earlier this morning I trued the face edge, it was out of 90 degrees and rough. The slab has no wind and is flat enough to install so truing the face edge and trimming the back edge will be all that needs doing before the slab is mounted. I started cleaning up the edge with a woodie jack and it went well. For some reason when it came time to joint the edge I pulled out the LN #8 instead of one of the woodie jointers, what a workout. That is a mistake I will not make again at least until the next time.

Using the Jack:

travelBenchBeechSlabA180422dscf2667.jpg

Using the #8:

travelBenchBeechSlabB180422dscf2668.jpg

Anyway it has been a enjoyable build but then workbenches almost always are. My back might differ but that hasn't stopped me yet . BTW, I'm thinking about another build but oriented towards a shop bench vs. traveling bench. We will see once I live with this one for awhile.

ken

Blog Entries
    Nice work Ken!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Looks great Ken! I could use one of those just now! The wood screw gives it an extra bit of class.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Looks good! I can never resist dry fitting and enjoying the incomplete project.

Thanks Brian,

ken

Chris,

It is such an easy build and when broken down takes up so little room I think everyone should have one for projects that are better done out of the shop.

I've never been a fan of leg vises, they are ok but for the most part I get along better with English metal QR vises. This Lake Erie Toolworks wood screw may change my mind a little. It is very fast and smooth. I used it last Fall on the PNW trip but once home I removed the vise from the bench and have been using the bench as a sharpening bench. A week or so ago I re-installed the leg vise and have been using it a little mostly to see if it was what I wanted on the new travel bench. The more it is used the smoother it becomes.

ken

Wow Ken,

Two thumbs up!

Stew

John,

There isn't much better than at the end of the day, with drink in hand, to sit back and just look at the project. MsBubba just shakes her head when she see me there.

ken

Thanks Stew,

ken

10. I guess i should come by and participate in the beverage-and-oggling....

Any idea how much that weighs in total?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Any idea how much that weighs in total?
    Patrick,

A WAG, taking BF paid for vs. a burn of about 30% would give a bench weighing a little over 200lbs. No one module other than the Beech slab is very heavy but from moving them around my back tells me the WAG is pretty close.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    I guess i should come by and participate in the beverage-and-oggling....
    Bridger,

Come on down, you are always welcome in Casa Chaos. Your choice of whisky.

ken