Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Domino through tenon ?

Through Dominos should always work. The only issue is their appearance if one or both sides of the joint are exposed due to the ridges on the Domino surface. The smaller Dominos generally don't present an appearance problem as the ridges are small enough to be essentially non-existent to the naked eye. The ridges on the larger Dominos show up as "gaps" on the outside surfaces where they are exposed. For shop tables, drawers, work stands, etc., appearance isn't usually a consideration and through Dominos work well, are very strong and usually make the assembly easy and very sturdy.

Hi Mike, I used the same technique with 5mm dominos for shop cabinets—they’ve been holding up fine for five years or so, but glued on both pieces. Quite a time savings having to bore only one hole.

—John
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

Blog Entries
    I am still thinking about a few changes to this worktable design. Festool tables are typically a single sheet of MDF drilled for Festool 20mm clamps, where “real” benches typically have heavier tops and vises. I have been vacillating on which way to lean with this bench/worktable. I am not sure how the Festool clamps I like using will work on a thicker table/bench. I don’t think the Quick Clamps or Screw Clamps will work. The Clamping Elements may work. I could also use the same: LV dogs, Hold Downs, Planing Stops, Bench Anchors and Surface Clamps I use on my Compact Hammer. The third option being making square wood dogs to fit in square dog holes.

I have a “tail vise screw” from LV that could be used to make a wide tail vise on the right end. The combination of 2x4s and 2- 3/4” pieces of plywood make a roughly 3” top, leaving only 15” in the center that would be 1 1/2” thick. Remember I plan to use a sacrificial piece of MDF or hard board on top of the plywood. The sacrificial top will be held in place by 3/4” x 3-3 1/2” SYP trim, aattached to the 2x4s and plywood on either side and end. The real question is whether or not to glue up extra pieces of 3/4” trim to make a conventional single row of dogs in?
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 04-24-2018 at 2:17 AM.

The native clamps do not like thicker work surfaces although there is no issue with things like 20mm dogs. If you want to be creative and only want/need one bench surface, you could do a hybrid that is more traditional bench on one end and around the apron with an MFT-type surface in the other end. Or...do a traditional, thicker surface as a base layer and a removable MFT-type top that can security sit on top of that. You do have adjustable height, so it will be easy to compensate for that extra thickness. In fact, if you build the auxiliary MFT-type top in the same manner as Timothy Wilmot's MFSC flippable top, you could have a very nice clamping arrangement on the backside of the MFT-type topper.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Consider the wedged Domino stolen.

Blog Entries
    Johnny,

I have done wedged tapered tenons in chair seats. The “through Dominos” that I am about to make in my second sheet of 3/4” plywood will not be visible if I put a sacrificial/replacable top over the two sheets of plywood.

Jim,
    I have an old MFT table/bench. I bought a replacement MFT top which arrived damaged. I used the damaged top as the top for a work cabinet that I clamp a miter saw and router table to, giving me two different MFT surfaces. I also have a Compact Hammer bench I bought that has square and round dog holes. My idea is to use the AAB to extemd the other work surfaces. I also have wood and vises to make a heavier planing bench. Still I may use your idea to make a drop in or bench top extension. I will do a search for Timothy Wilmot’s MFSC.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 04-27-2018 at 1:31 PM.

I have the older MFT, too. In case you didn't catch it, I posted a thread awhile ago about extending the legs to match the current 900mm height. The old-style MFT top is slightly larger, too. Timothy's project can be broken up and/or used as the basis for what I suggested to you. Having a clamping setup that holds parallel clamps level can be a really valuable addition and time saver when doing panels without a "real" panel clamp setup. 'Kinda like a third hand/arm.
    --

I use through Dominos on drawers when aesthetically appropriate. The resulting joints are very strong and somewhat pleasing to the eye.

See post #14 https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....itchen-drawers

Blog Entries
    I see the Veritas components for making their benches only use a 2” thick top. I hope that means two pieces of plywood with a sacrificial top, equaling the same 2” thickness should be able to use all the Veritas bench: dogs, hold downs, planing stops, bench anchors, surface clamps.....?

Assuming this is the case, I will drill holes in my AAB work surface top to match the LV devices I have vs the Festool MFT clamps....

You can drill whatever hole size best suits the dogs and other things you want to use, but still take advantage of a regular MFT-like grid. Best of both worlds!
    --

Blog Entries
    Jim,

Do you have a post or link to info. about the T drilling guide you made? I have a piece of the MFT table top I used to make my cabinet top with. It has a row of 5 holes that is almost the same width as my work table top. I have been thinking about using it to make a T drilling guide. The obvious issue is it will not last too long, being made of MDF. I am wndering if the guide you made was designed to work with drilling bushings or not? I have a 3/4”/19mm Woodowl drill bit and a drill press. I have been reluctant to buy single 1” or 25mm bits to work with the LV bushings I have. I think they would not get used except to drill bushing holes. Apparently drills for drilling these holes are frequently undersized anyway....
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 04-30-2018 at 10:10 AM.

Mike, sending you a message...
    --

One option I've read but not tried is to make your own dominoes. These wouldn't have the gaps and can be made of contrasting wood if desired. If you search on festool owners group you can find out how they are made.

Blog Entries
    Jim,

Sorry apparently my SMC message box was full, clear now though.

Mike,

I have thought about making Dominos from split wood to improve the grain orientaion. Festool also makes long Domino sticks that can be cut any required length. Maybe after I get moved and have all my tools in one place.

There is another reason to leave the actual Dominos proud of the surface of the bench top. I will be able to mortise matching domino holes in the bottoms of the sacraficial tops I will use, which should help them align with the rest of the top.