Thread: Kotenomi Comparison

Kotenomi Comparison

For those of you that like handmade tools, I thought I would post some photos of a couple of unusual chisels from my toolchest.

These are called the Kotenomi, which translates to "trowel chisel." They are very handy for cleaning dadoes and groves, cutting the bottoms and sides of sliding dovetails, and inletting everything imaginable, including swamped octagonal Kentucky longrifle barrels.

Remember, there is no equivalent to the router plane in Japan, and very few craftsman here have ever even heard of one.

They are not easy chisels to make, and are a true test of not only a blacksmith's shaping and finishing technique, but his artistic skills.

I have two I would like to show you today. The first is a fairly standard one I picked up somewhere. It works fine. Notice the angles and grinder marks. No sen or filework here. Plane Jane.

The second one was made by Kiyotada (Shimamura Kosaburo) in the Chiyozuru Korehide style from White Label No.1 Steel. I own 4 or 5 of these by Shimamura san in various widths, and have owned this tool for 16 or 17 years. I am told by the retailer that ordered it that he lent Shimamura san a Chiyozuru kotenomi chisel as a reference, but that it took a long time and much trial and error and frustration before he got it right. No sandpaper. No grinder marks. Just sen and file.

Notice the smooth transitions, and melding of blade to neck at a precise angle. Notice the surfaces, which look smooth but show hand filework untouched by sandpaper. More sculpture than tool.

If you have heard of the Japanese terms Wabi Sabi, then you know this subtly beautiful chisel epitomizes that concept.

I am not dismissing the skills of the smith that made the standard chisel. He had a target customer, quality, and price point, whereas Shimamura san was tasked with beauty and performance 1st and 2nd, and cost 8th or 9th.

Stan

Kotenomi OLD FL Top.jpgKotenomi OLD FL Side.jpgKotenomi OLD Ura.jpgKotenomi OLD Blade Side.jpg

Kiyotyada Kotenomi FL Side.jpgKiyotyada Kotenomi FL Top.jpgKiyotyada Kotenomi Blade Top.jpgKiyotyada Kotenomi Blade Side.jpg

Blog Entries
    That’s a beautiful chisel! It must be tough, especially, to make the heel part. That’s very nicely done and not something I’ve seen elsewhere.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    They make my cranked neck Buck Brothers chisels and gouges look to be made by amateurs.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 04-22-2018 at 11:46 AM. Reason: wording & spelling
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Those are some really nice chisels, the japanese certainly take pride in their Craftsmanship. Though as someone thats never held nor used one of those I'm curious how easy is it to keep your depth ? or how those deal with difficult grain.

Wow!

Thanks for sharing that.

Stan,

Thanks for sharing, especially for clearly describing the subtleties in form between the makers.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Really awesome stuff. I have been getting increasingly aware of the challenges to make good tools, and the skills needed. Forging out the tang and filing the neck to match the ferrule while keeping everything centred is already a concept that makes my head hurt when I think about how to go about doing it. Doing all of that while having to forge out that bend and make all the curves "flow" is really something else. That heel on the Kiyotada version is a triumph. Thanks for sharing Stan.

- Vincent

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tai View Post
    Really awesome stuff. I have been getting increasingly aware of the challenges to make good tools, and the skills needed. Forging out the tang and filing the neck to match the ferrule while keeping everything centred is already a concept that makes my head hurt when I think about how to go about doing it. Doing all of that while having to forge out that bend and make all the curves "flow" is really something else. That heel on the Kiyotada version is a triumph. Thanks for sharing Stan.

- Vincent
    Vincent

Thanks.

I have no idea how he made it, but I suspect he was trying to beat Ichihiro at his game.

Stan

Blog Entries
    Here is Konobu's kotenomi for comparison:

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Here is Konobu's kotenomi for comparison:

Nicely done. Too bad he did not have the Chiyozuru chisel to use as a pattern.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Stan,

Thanks for sharing, especially for clearly describing the subtleties in form between the makers.

Best,
    Chris
    +1. Thanks Stan!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    +1. Thanks Stan!
    Fred
    You are very welcome Fred. Always a gentleman.

Stan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    Nicely done. Too bad he did not have the Chiyozuru chisel to use as a pattern.

Stan
    Very true, he used a tsutsumi guchi as an example and made it longer.