Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to find a nail in a tree.

How to find a nail in a tree.

Just use a nail-finding saw....
    After collecting this log from a friend, I decided to saw off the bit hanging off the end of the ute tray to see what it was like in the middle.
    Either there are a boatload of nails in it or I'm just unlucky . Got it right in the middle.
    Just glad it was an el cheapo handsaw.
    Nail in tree.jpg
    Mango tree btw.
    Cheers, Robbie.

Poetic justice would be everyone that put a nail into a tree getting a sliver he can never remove.

I invested in a Lumber Wizard metal detector 20 years or so ago to deal with this problem. Invaluable tool with my sawmill......
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    I would re-tooth that saw to use on future nail finding.

I was about to say with a Chainsaw, i guess a nail is still better then the Tank shells, Bullets and Shrapnell we get in the trees round here, haha.

I can imagine that a metal detector is invaluable for a sawmill.

It looks like that nail has been in that tree for a very long time. Did you count the rings to try and see how long ago that nail was pounded into the tree? I've hit all sorts of things with my chainsaw, just accept it and move on. I've even hit a rock that the tree grew around. I guess I'm a little twisted because I usually start to think about when it happened and what was happening in the area. Things like nails, staples, fencing, just not bullets can be dated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    I invested in a Lumber Wizard metal detector 20 years or so ago to deal with this problem. Invaluable tool with my sawmill......
    Same here. I had a big cedar log on my WoodMizer last week and found four nails, a screwdriver, and two lead bullets. I ruined one blade before I got out the Wizard.

JKJ

I was going to whine about my lousy luck, but Philipp makes me look silly. If I came across a tank shell , I'd take up stamp collecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    It looks like that nail has been in that tree for a very long time. Did you count the rings to try and see how long ago that nail was pounded into the tree? I've hit all sorts of things with my chainsaw, just accept it and move on. I've even hit a rock that the tree grew around. I guess I'm a little twisted because I usually start to think about when it happened and what was happening in the area. Things like nails, staples, fencing, just not bullets can be dated.
    Just went and counted - 16 rings to the head of the nail. Mangoes do grow pretty fast.
    I was planing a piece of cedar down yesterday and hit a rock buried in the wood. With the 603 that I just got lapped, sharpened and finally cutting beautifully. Chipped the blade and scratched down the middle of the sole. Not my week. (Then again tank shells... I'll take the rock.)

@Lowell - it's one of those $6 hard tooth throwaway saws, so it's only future is as scrapers.
    Last edited by Robbie Buckley; 04-25-2018 at 3:54 AM. Reason: saw

Blog Entries
    Every time I see the header to this string, I think
    "To find a nail in a tree, put a chain saw on the tree".

First put a fine polish on your best axe, then get to work on the tree.

This is very similar to the best method for finding Legos (if you have kids the age for Lego play) or cat blarks (if you have cats) or other things you'd rather not step on: just walk barefoot through the house, preferably in the dark. Your foot will be magically attracted to the object in question.

Sorry for your pain, and your saw's pain.

May have actually found a use for that Aldi's saw..
    saw.JPG
    Yep, found one nail, broke one tooth...no biggie..

I found some 1/4" threaded rod with my table saw. I was ripping a butcher block work surface down at some failing glue lines. Whoever made it embedded threaded rods with nuts and washers to clamp the whole affair together during glue-up. They installed full length caps over the edges where the nuts were countersunk. There was no indication anything was there but wood. My carbide tipped blade cut right through the rods. Boy did I feel stupid. I always use a metal detector now.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I always use a metal detector now.
    I dont have a metal detector but these stories are making me think I should invest in one. Any suggestions for a small workshop? I dont process raw logs into lumber but I do like to use reclaimed wood when I can. What is a good entry level metal detector for say up to 4" lumber?