Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A kitchen by hand

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    ...The problem is that these fellows have an investment in machinery, an investment in training and experience in how to use the machinery, and a shop with more space more heating more lighting and more, which is entirely wasted when they do handwork. And in addition they have very little experience or training actually using hand tools. So hand work is very very expensive for them...
    Based on an inaccurate premise, your conclusion had to be wrong.

Many, I would say most types of woodworking require a mix of hand work and machine work, the choice of which is best made by the craftsman doing the work, based on his abilities, experience and the tools available to him. That is not to say that some woodworkers don't choose to waste hours doing by hand what could be done in minutes using a machine. Brian certainly knows how best to accomplish a specific task to create the look he desires. But I know others, one even here on this forum, who will spend many times the time and effort to do a simple task, by hand, rather than (he claims) listen to a machine running for a tiny fraction of that time. And with less desirable results.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Really spectacular, and I am glad Ryan pointed out the bevels. What finish did you use?

"If you don't see anything that could not be made with 90% machine work, I think horizons are limited."

I see a very nice design carried out with style including excellent wood selection. I see crisp chamfering and I presume, though I can't tell from the photos, a pleasing hand-tooled finish on the surfaces, and those I would consider where hand work is most important in the project. Other than that, what I see is straightforward cabinet work that could (and in my shop would) be done primarily with electrically powered processes with no compromises in quality and if the finishing touches were done with hand tools would be indistinguishable from work done entirely by hand.

I recognize that some work can only be done or is best done by hand, and I appreciate the value of what Pye called "free workmanship" and "the workmanship of risk". Translating that philosophical value into cash from the customer is a skill in itself and I applaud Brian and his clientele.

Having read about the price books of 18th century journeyman furniture makers I know that someone who is thoroughly practiced in hand tools can work at considerable speed with far smaller overhead than is associated with a shop full of machinery. Still, economic reality makes the population of self-supporting furniture makers working primarily with hand tools rather small.

Thanks for the post Brian. Nice work. I'm curious as to what technique you used on your dovetails, saw and pare or saw, chop and pare? If chopping, what chisels did you use? The reason I ask is that I was searching for opinions on Japanese chisels, and I came across a couple of posts where comments were made suggesting that Japanese chisels are not a good fit for working hard woods such as maple. I'm curious as to what your experience has been on this subject. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zucker View Post
    Really spectacular, and I am glad Ryan pointed out the bevels. What finish did you use?
    Thank you! I used mostly oil varnish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    "If you don't see anything that could not be made with 90% machine work, I think horizons are limited."

I see a very nice design carried out with style including excellent wood selection. I see crisp chamfering and I presume, though I can't tell from the photos, a pleasing hand-tooled finish on the surfaces, and those I would consider where hand work is most important in the project. Other than that, what I see is straightforward cabinet work that could (and in my shop would) be done primarily with electrically powered processes with no compromises in quality and if the finishing touches were done with hand tools would be indistinguishable from work done entirely by hand.

I recognize that some work can only be done or is best done by hand, and I appreciate the value of what Pye called "free workmanship" and "the workmanship of risk". Translating that philosophical value into cash from the customer is a skill in itself and I applaud Brian and his clientele.

Having read about the price books of 18th century journeyman furniture makers I know that someone who is thoroughly practiced in hand tools can work at considerable speed with far smaller overhead than is associated with a shop full of machinery. Still, economic reality makes the population of self-supporting furniture makers working primarily with hand tools rather small.
    It was anything but straightforward cabinet work as I was working under an existing countertop that couldn't be removed. Instead it had to be blocked up. I designed a plinth which could be leveled, fitted with frames top and bottom and plywood slid in between them. This is not something I've seen cabinet shops make, just something I felt would work well. These parts can be made by machine, in this particular case.

I needed something that could be assembled in place, basically. I cut the plywood to an exact fit and worked it into these grooves, then applied a series of web frames and exterior frames to make a strong structure.

Next more frames were fitted in which were to offset the drawers in from the sides, these frames locked into another set of frames overhead for the drawers above the doors and the structure now becomes quite rigid.

The frames were made using bridle joints with a rabbet about the inside to make fitting panels easier.

Homeowner (client) took down the back wall at this point, making it into a half wall and leaving the large support beam in the wall. I had concerns about the wall at that point, being only a half wall and so I made up a steel bracket that would work as a tie for the wall and double as a support for the bar-top.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Thanks for the post Brian. Nice work. I'm curious as to what technique you used on your dovetails, saw and pare or saw, chop and pare? If chopping, what chisels did you use? The reason I ask is that I was searching for opinions on Japanese chisels, and I came across a couple of posts where comments were made suggesting that Japanese chisels are not a good fit for working hard woods such as maple. I'm curious as to what your experience has been on this subject. Thanks.
    Thanks Joe! I saw them, then cut to the line with a chisel. Japanese chisels are fine in hardwoods.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    ....White oak is great, but it added some serious amount of time to the project when dimensioned by hand. When flattening panels I was likely sharpening my plane irons every 20 minutes or so....
    I feel your pain. I work in QSWO most of the time. Sometimes it's like working with stone. I did a couple small projects using cherry and spanish cedar recently and it felt like I was working with soap by comparison.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Brian,
    Your craftsmanship and design are first rate, as always. There's nothing I can add that hasn't already been said (though I wish there were). I'm glad for you - you've been able to make the jump from hobbyist to Pro while continuing to do things in your own, beautiful and unique way.

Look forward to seeing more.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I feel your pain. I work in QSWO most of the time. Sometimes it's like working with stone. I did a couple small projects using cherry and spanish cedar recently and it felt like I was working with soap by comparison.
    Haha, this job has me cherishing any opportunity to work in quartered walnut, cherry or mahogany.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Brian,
    Your craftsmanship and design are first rate, as always. There's nothing I can add that hasn't already been said (though I wish there were). I'm glad for you - you've been able to make the jump from hobbyist to Pro while continuing to do things in your own, beautiful and unique way.

Look forward to seeing more.
    Fred
    Thank you, Fred! Very much appreciated!

Delightful kitchen Brian. I notice some of the drawer fronts look veneered? Or is it the drawer front edges that are veneered? Also what finish did you apply to the white oak?
    For several years when I worked in the far north I stayed in a place with an $80,000 kitchen. Let me say what fun it is (I do cook) like being on a studio set! I used to joke he built the kitchen for me! Not money wasted at all, you really get so much pleasure from such a kitchen.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Wow! Just wow! I second what others have said. I really like the harmony in the overall effect. I also really love the corner shelf. Are the stools yours as well?

The work is fabulous but more impressive is that you do all this in a tuxedo with perfect hair.

Blog Entries
    I would just stare at this all day. Nice work.

quarter sawn.jpg

One of the few shops with a vase... that is meant to be there!

Nice photos. I like the harmony of the woodwork in the home.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Delightful kitchen Brian. I notice some of the drawer fronts look veneered? Or is it the drawer front edges that are veneered? Also what finish did you apply to the white oak?
    For several years when I worked in the far north I stayed in a place with an $80,000 kitchen. Let me say what fun it is (I do cook) like being on a studio set! I used to joke he built the kitchen for me! Not money wasted at all, you really get so much pleasure from such a kitchen.
    Thank you William! The drawer fronts are veneered. I made a wrap in 1/2" QSWO around birch ply, then face veneer. I used oil varnish to finish.

I agree completely, I can see where it would be quite enjoyable to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ranck View Post
    Wow! Just wow! I second what others have said. I really like the harmony in the overall effect. I also really love the corner shelf. Are the stools yours as well?
    Thanks Jeff! The stools are by BassamFellows, a design team located in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    The work is fabulous but more impressive is that you do all this in a tuxedo with perfect hair.
    Hah! Thanks Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I would just stare at this all day. Nice work.

quarter sawn.jpg
    Thank you! Very much appreciated and great to hear from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    One of the few shops with a vase... that is meant to be there!

Nice photos. I like the harmony of the woodwork in the home.
    Thank you! Haha, good eye on that. We've moved so much stuff out of the main part of the house to make room for Henry and a few cool things have landed in the workshop.