Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Walking slowly before running..."

"Walking slowly before running..."

I finally got to put sharp implements in the collet today and let them touch some wood while spinning. That was originally planned for yesterday, but as I noted in my other thread, I had to spend some quality time entertaining some medical professionals for most of yesterday. Given this was my first actual "hands on" experience with CNC, I decided to start with the simplest operation and add a little to each subsequent effort. Why? Because I want to build some habits via repetition into the process to hopefully avoid common errors later.

The first thing I did was to grab a piece of MDF I had hanging around in the shop to use as a smaller, temporary spoil board for my learning while I work on what I want to do for my full size spoil board solution. The first machine operation once I fastened that piece of MDF down (with screws for now) was to surface it flat and coplanar to the gantry. I used a great, easy to use utility from Mick Martin to generate the code for surfacing the 26" x 32" testing/training spoil board and it worked like a charm. The Amana insert cutter I used left a surface as smooth as a baby's butt...assuming said baby has an MDF butt, of course. And then the real fun began.

IMG_0701.jpg IMG_0702.jpg

I decided to start with a simple V-Carved sign that says "Welcome" and add some things to each iteration to insure that I was following those "every project" steps I mentioned previously. For the purpose of the exercise, the workpiece was set to 15" x 4" and .75" thick, indexed to the center point and top of the spoil board. I'm using the top of spoil board reference for tool measurement/Z axis zeroing because ultimately, that will be the standard once the FTC (fast tool change) sensor switch is enabled on my particular machine. For now, I'm measuring tool length with the contact plate. The local X0,Y0 was set using the handy laser pointer...a good exercise in controlling movement using both the PC screen and rodent as well as the remote keypad. Tooling was a 1/2" 90º V-Bit and a 1/4" two flute end mill. This is all boring, I'm sure, for folks who have been "doing CNC" for a long time, but I suspect newbies like I am right now might benefit from the description.

Since I installed an instance of V-Carve Pro on my control PC, I simply used that to create the simple drawing and initial tool paths to cut the very first thing I've ever created with a CNC machine.

IMG_0703.jpg

Exciting, no? But seeing it happen for the first time on the new toy actually was an exciting moment...

IMG_0705.jpg

A few minutes and a tool change later, I was done cutting my very first "thing" on the "Yellow Monster" (still to be named...)

IMG_0707.jpg

So the simple square sign worked out and it was time to add a simple profile cut to make it (slightly) more interesting.

IMG_0708.jpg IMG_0709.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For the next iteration, I changed that profile cut to a pocket and compensated for the .125" depth of the pocket in the V-Carve tool path. I also decided to use the next couple of cuts to be signs for my daughters' rooms...I'm a nice dad like that. Professor Dr. SWMBO will get something "more special" once I get a feel for things. This is Tia's sign cut from a scrap of Sapele I had in the bin...

IMG_0710.jpg IMG_0711.jpg IMG_0712.jpg IMG_0713.jpg

That worked out really well, so I created a similar one for Alesya out of a scrap of cherry

IMG_0714.jpg

So I had what I feel is a successful first CNC experience and I look forward to increasing the complexity as I learn. And I even got four usable things out of the effort.

IMG_0715.jpg

BTW, for anyone contemplating adding a CNC to your shop that's above the most basic setups, regardless of brand, I have zero regrets for ponying up for the spindle. That thang is smooth and quiet. While cutting the V-Carve and the pockets, the noise level was about the same as my cyclone running...in the closed closet. (I did need to wear hearing protection when running the 1/4" end mill for the profile cuts, but that was all cutter noise. This was a totally different experience than with a "router" motor for sure.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-21-2018 at 9:11 PM.
    --

I remember seeing those first moves and being utterly impressed and astounded.

Fun fun times. I'm jealous that you are experiencing this in the convenience of what seems to be a well orchestrated retirement. Getting to enjoy the whole process free of the burden of business is beautiful to watch.

Yea, having the time is nice, but I really am doing this for business reasons...rather than going out and getting a part time job at a supermarket or cooking at a local restaurant for a few shifts, I'm working to monetize my shop so I can do what I enjoy and, perhaps, make a few shekels in the process. In the mean time, I'm motivated to share the journey because there is increasing interest in CNC from many woodworkers and I feel that showing it is approachable by "normal humans" will help them make the jump with less trepidation.
    --

Very nice, Jim! Yes, the spindle's are worth it all the way. Ours is water cooled so even quieter than an air cooled but the bit definitely announces that it's doing some work.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Jim,

The initial shock is over and you are well on your way
    Now raise the letters by machining the background.

Way cool Jim. I know you’ll get a lot of use out of it.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

The great thing about a CNC is that it will execute perfectly the correct instructions given it.

The bad thing about a CNC is that it will execute without question the wrong instructions given it, ruining material, and / or crashing the machine.

Great that you’re off to a good start!

If I may offer one bit of constructive criticism --- when doing a possessive, please use a curly apostrophe: ’ rather than a stick quote (which is only correctly used for computer programming): '

Any good text on typography will offer a discussion of this --- once nice basic one is Robin Williams’ The PC Is Not a Typewriter.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Jim,

The initial shock is over and you are well on your way
    Now raise the letters by machining the background.
    Funny you should mention that...it's actually next on my list, Keith.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post

If I may offer one bit of constructive criticism --- when doing a possessive, please use a curly apostrophe: ’ rather than a stick quote (which is only correctly used for computer programming): '

Any good text on typography will offer a discussion of this --- once nice basic one is Robin Williams’ The PC Is Not a Typewriter.
    This is something I'm fully aware of, Wil...I spent nearly a decade doing so-called "desktop publishing" for money in Pagemaker a long time ago and just have to get my keystrokes back since it's been so long. Good observation, for sure, however.
    --

Hey Jim, I didn't know you had design experience when I recommended CNC routing to you. This information raises my prediction of your success by a lot. My wife was a visual designer for advertising and printing companies for 30 years and I give her most of the credit for our limited commercial success. I am really just a skilled technician. The magic is in the design.

Art. Glad am not only one who let's the better half do all my sign and such design.

Art, I've been involved with the arts for all of my life in many formats and am also a visual learner. I have no trepidation about this CNC journey outside of knowing it's going to take a bit of time to become proficient in some of the tool pathing things. The good news is that I already have some folks asking for signs...I just hope they can be patient since I'm not about to take on something that I don't feel "reasonably confident" about doing successfully and to my own high standards. Fortunately, these folks are people I've known for awhile and have done other work for and I believe that will bring some understanding.
    --

Jim, congrats on the new machine! I know your looking for a new name, but yellow monster is kinda fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    it's going to take a bit of time to become proficient in some of the tool pathing things.
    Im probably slower to pick up on stuff than most but for me opening your brain up to deconstructing things in a way that can be efficient on the CNC is something that took me a while (and still is) to get my head around. Getting your brain in the 2.5D format really opens up a ton of stuff that use to have me thinking it was still faster to run certain ops off the CNC. Im perpetually in thae stage of sitting up in bed in the middle of the night in an AH HA moment or asking a question that has such a simple answer its crazy not to have seen it.

The nerves of pulling the plug (cycle start) play into a lot of second guessing. Its not to say be willing to crash your machine but too much caution can stifle you. Youve got a massive network, youll be cranking in no time.