Thread: Rainy Saturday laminated bowl

Rainy Saturday laminated bowl

I glued it up yesterday in anticipation of not having to do Saturday yard work due to forecast rain all day. Mother Nature did not disappoint

Anyway, this is basswood with walnut and paduak accent strips. My first attempt at this type of glue-up. I was surprised how out of balance that 3/4 strip of paduak made this entire turn.

I stayed under 1k rpm which made it take a while, but hey, it's fun, right? Just a hobby for me anyway. Due to the humidity, the poly coats are taking forever to dry, so maybe by tomorrow afternoon I'll have pictures of the the finished product. This is with 3 coats of wipe-on poly. I'm guessing it will need at least 6 or 7.

stripedbowl3.jpg

Very creative. Looks good.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Dramatic piece. You did not give dimensions but looks to be between 10 and 12"D and 1K rpm would be pushing top end for balanced piece to finish per the 6-9K for DxRPM guidelines. Looks like you got the job done and been busy will little time between glueup, turning, and 3 coats of finish.

Thank you George!

Thank you, Thomas. The peice is 11.5 x 3 inches, and I probably would have tried to turn it faster if it had been better balanced. I’ve familiarized myself with the spin ratio you mentioned and will keep that info in my hip pocket for my next “large” turn. (This is about as large as my 1221vs will allow).

Here are a couple of more photos, one of the glued and clamped blank, and one of the bottom, unfinished and still on the faceplate.

blank1.JPG

stripedbowl1.jpg
    Last edited by Nick Schepis; 04-22-2018 at 12:41 AM.