Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trimming Rails on Cabinet Doors

Trimming Rails on Cabinet Doors

I'm working on a set of 6 cabinet doors. I left the rails intentionally long but will need to cut them after gluing it up. I was just curious if there are any tips on doing this? I had thought that a flush cut saw would be a great tool for the job, but the guys at Woodcraft said that this wasn't the best approach.

My plan had been to use the flush cut saw and then use a low angle block plane if necessary. But the end grain is tricky, and I'm new to this, and I really don't want to blow out the bottom after all that effort.

Thanks! I've attached pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I usually trim them on my table saw, but if I were going to use just hand tools, I would mark the cut line and use a flush cut saw. You could use a hand plane, but would need to plane toward the center of the door or clamp a sacrificial strip to prevent tear out.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Why not trim them before glue up?
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

FWIW -I typically run the rails a little long

Hand tools - 12 pt crosscut saw leaving the line, block plane from each end.

Power - Track Saw excels at this and is faster

Blog Entries
    Mine are usually left a little proud and then trimmed with a block plane:

Block Plane on Rail.jpg

Take care when close to the stile as the grain might be going the other way.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 04-22-2018 at 12:36 AM. Reason: added care
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

One...I seem to recall those are known as Stiles....and the part left long is known as a horn. Use a back saw, like a tenon saw, to trim the horns flush to the rails. Use a knife wall to guide the saw. Knife all the way around. Saw and then clean up with a block plane IF need be. BTDT.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 04-21-2018 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    One...I seem to recall those are known as Stiles....and the part left long is known as a horn. Use a back saw, line a tenon saw, to trim the horns flush to the rails. Use a knife wall to guide the saw. Knife all the way around. Saw and then clean up with a block plane IF need be. BTDT.
    The vertical elements are "Stiles", the horizontal elements are "Rails", I wasn't paying attention and just continued with the OP's nomenclature.

Oh, sorry about the rails/stiles mixup. And thanks for the tips. That should help

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Keen View Post
    Oh, sorry about the rails/stiles mixup. And thanks for the tips. That should help
    Do the names change if the structure is rotated 90º on the bench?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

If not confident about sawing, clamp a block to guide the start of the cut so you can't damage the main frame. This should help to keep you square as well.

David Charlesworth

I think I'll do that, because I am definitely NOT confident about my sawing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Do the names change if the structure is rotated 90º on the bench?

jtk
    Yes, but then the door would be built incorrectly. Of course, you already know that.......
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    Yes, but then the door would be built incorrectly. Of course, you already know that.......
    Also my question was partly a joke since my piece being planed was rotated 90º on the bench to trim the excess rail.

jtk

Blog Entries
    But. . . ...isn't it a pleasure to take a very sharp block plane and shave end grain off of stiles?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    But. . . ...isn't it a pleasure to take a very sharp block plane and shave end grain off of stiles?
    It's not my style...

jtk