Thread: Table Saw Makes Garage Door Opener Go Nutty

Table Saw Makes Garage Door Opener Go Nutty

Hi Guys,
    I got a new to me table saw off craigslist recently and have used it a couple times. It is in the garage on the same circuit as the garage door opener. Sometimes when I flip on the saw, the garage door will open/close. It doesn't happen every time but it was happening regularly enough that I've been unplugging the garage door opener when using the saw. Not sure if it is an RF problem or if the draw from the saw startup is causing a voltage drop that is doing something to the opener.

Another note, the garage door opener actually just died a couple days after I first noticed this problem. The opener was 22 years old so it may have just been a coincidence but I was hoping to figure out what the problem was so that I don't fry the new garage door opener.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for tracking down what the issue is or if there is any more information that would be helpful.

Grounded 3prong plug on opener? Try plugging it through a decent power strip that has some filtering and see if the behavior changes. If its dead change it out.

Also check wiring on your saw. Thats more likely to be rigged up.

Get a dedicated power tool circuit or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Grounded 3prong plug on opener? Try plugging it through a decent power strip that has some filtering and see if the behavior changes. If its dead change it out.

Also check wiring on your saw. Thats more likely to be rigged up.

Get a dedicated power tool circuit or two.

Yeah, the old opener did have a grounded 3 prong plug. Good idea about adding a power strip/filter, I just installed the new opener so I'll add the filter to be safe.

Wiring on the saw appears unmodified from factory setup.

I've been meaning to add a circuit for an air compressor so it would make sense to add another for the saw and/or other tools at the same time.

Adding a new circuit is not a big project esp if u can access the wiring in walls..Should clear up your issue...G Luck.
    Jerry

If it persists you can put a reactor on the input or output. Plenty of used three phase ones on the bay. get a three phase and just use two of the three coils.
    I would make it an extension cord setup so it can be used with other tools when needed.
    Bill D.

Hmm, I don't have any experience with line reactors, looks like an interesting option.

My bet would be that it is an RF issue. Old Saw, old door opener.

Could it be that the saw is somehow triggering a safety feature on the opener?