Thread: Wire Breaker, Plug for new T/S

Wire Breaker, Plug for new T/S

Ordering a new 5 hp table saw (Jet) -- I'm thinking a 30a breaker with #10 wire from the box to the twist plug. Sound right? Anything else I need to consider? I really appreciate the expertise available here - thanks. Vince
    Last edited by Vince Shriver; 04-21-2018 at 3:19 AM.

240 volt, single phase?
    Bil lD

Yes, I should have included that. 240/single phase. Thanks Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Shriver View Post
    Ordering a new 5 hp table saw (Jet) -- I'm thinking a 30a breaker with #10 wire from the box to the twist plug. Sound right? Anything else I need to consider? I really appreciate the expertise available here - thanks. Vince
    Consider the length of the run too, probably not far for inside a shop. I have no electrician credentials but when I wired my shop and did the voltage drop calculations I decided to run #8 wire to the 5 hp motors on the far end of my shop, an air compressor and a cyclone DC, and #10 for 3 hp and smaller 230v motors.

JKJ

I wont go smaller than #10 even for extension cords. Bigger is better in my book.

Depending on the distance I would go at least the #10 but for a longer run I would prefer #8.

Check the specs on your Jet and it should say what to use.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

"Most likely" the 5hp saw requires a 30amp 240v circuit with appropriate wire and terminations. It's a best practice to confirm with the manufacturer's specifications before your install your circuit, but "in general", you should be fine with 10 gage wire, a 30 amp breaker and 30 amp rated terminations, the latter are typically twist locks.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Usually you use an 80% factoring when sizing feeds to motors.....A 5hp 240v single phase motor has a full load amp rating of 28 amps.......80% of 30a is 24a.....So I would go with a 40a breaker and #8 wire
    I can sure make a mean pile of Saw Dust !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Kelly View Post
    Usually you use an 80% factoring when sizing feeds to motors.....A 5hp 240v single phase motor has a full load amp rating of 28 amps.......80% of 30a is 24a.....So I would go with a 40a breaker and #8 wire
    Terry is correct, if the full load amp reading is over 24 amps it needs to be on a breaker/fuse over 30 amps. Maybe Jet will give you a straight answer, but I would expect one that says wire it in full compliance of all local/national codes yada yada yada. While there certainly are negative consequences of over sizing a breaker, there really are none for over sizing the wire, as long as it will fit on the breaker, and receptacle/cord cap.

Without knowing how many amps it draws, and the manufacturer's recommendation, any advice is meaningless.
    3hp motors are anything from 13 to 22a; I presume 5hp are similar.