Thread: Oil from vacuum pump question

Oil from vacuum pump question

I built a vacuum chuck. It works great. BUT, I used the Harbor Freight single stage pump. I placed a small air filter from a lawn tractor over the oil outlet. It catches some of the oil fog that these pumps are known for, but there is quite a bit that goes right through the filter paper. Has anyone come up with a good way to contain the oil these pumps throw out? Help please.

I built my first Vacuum pump from a car compressor. It spewed lots of oil so I made a sort of muffler to go on the exhaust and filled it with course Steel wool. The whole thing was horizontal and I put a catch cup underneath to catch the drips when it really built up.

I have a different brand, but it produces the same fog. I took off the plastic "muffler" and turned a piece of 3/4" Sch40 PVC pipe which fits very tight in the threaded hole where the muffler used to attach. I then could add PVC piping to the fitting I turned. I made mine go straight up the wall for about six feet. That way the oil will drain back into the pump as it condenses. I then piped the PVC outside the shop.
    Just my solution.
    RP

Thanks for the replies When it warms up here in Minnesota I plan to move the pump outside. Don't think that will work in the cold. I like both ideas and may combine them. Take a pipe several feet above the compressor and end it in a steel wool or perhaps copper filter.

Just pipe the discharge of the pump outside. That is what I am going to do this summer.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Oil discharge is a problem with all of these types of oil based pumps--from the cheapos from HF to expensive units used in industrial applications. Your best bet is to exhaust it outside.

Most of the vacuum pumps at my work aren't the oil type but the few we have use oil mist filters or eliminators. Because our pumps run 24/7 we use large ones but for occasional use I would get a cheap one off ebay that comes apart so you can either clean or replace just the filter.

You want to look for an "oil mist filter". Paper filters will clog up almost immediately. The ones we used in the lab were very effective, but cost about $500; there's no good reason they should be that expensive-- you probably don't need 99.999% efficiency. A quick search showed a variety of more reasonable options.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was out of town for awhile. Now that I am back I will look for oil mist filters. The chuck seems to hold really well. Looking forward to using it.

You might try this. It worked great for me on my Harbor Freight vacuum pump. Just don't shortcut the furnace filter - get the best you can buy.
    http://www.aggieturner.com/exhaust%2...uum%20pump.pdf
    Way south of most everybody...

Paul do a search on "oil mist filter harbor freight" and there are instructions from "aggieturner" on building a filter for the pump
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

When I started vacuum bagging carbon fiber model racing boats I just sort of gave up on recipricationg pumps and got a cheapo oil less rotary for big pieces and a single diaphragm pump for small parts (also oil less).