Thread: First Gouge for spoon carving

First Gouge for spoon carving

Do you guys have a recommendation for a good gouge for spoon carving?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Do you guys have a recommendation for a good gouge for spoon carving?
    What are you using as your guide? (There are different traditions, I'm sure some use gouges....)

All of the recent tutorials & instruction I've seen are "Sloyd" or Scandinavian tradition and use hook knives. (In addition to carving axes & straight knives.) Some sources I've book marked are:

Maine Coast Craft, (heirs to Drew Langsner's Country Store & Workshops.)

Wood Tools, Robin & JoJo Wood's company. (BTW- JoJo's young, but incredibly talented. Peter Follansbee wrote about her watching him carve for 15 mins and making suggestions which improved on his 40 years of experience.)

Pinewood Forge

Orford knives, e.g. at TFWW, who also has Ray Illes tools.

ETA: forgot North Bay Forge, who I've also seen recommended.
    Last edited by David Bassett; 04-20-2018 at 3:11 PM. Reason: one more....

for bowls and spoons, I get a lot of use out of a Pfiel D5 bent gouge at 12mm (D5L/12) and a straight D7 20mm (D7/20). I also use the bent knives, but the gouge is faster at clearing waste and shaping for me. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if the 7 were bent as well - for bowl bottom transitions. I use the 7 (deeper curve) first for rough shaping, then the 5 for 'smoothing', then a scraper or knife.

Peter Follansbee uses gouges when making his spoons- if you look up spoon carving on his blog, he should list what he uses. I think he posted something along those lines this winter.
    good luck
    Karl