Thread: Coffee table---Back to the drawing table

Coffee table---Back to the drawing table

This week, my parents go their coffee table...really cheap, badly made furniture that was bought because dad wanted a second shelf, and mom was tired of looking at coffee tables.

I've come to the agreement with them that I can go ahead an make/buy a nicer coffee table (and maybe matching end tables too) that will replace what they bought.

Would you mind helping me with the design?

I'd like things to:
    -match the dining table/couch
    -be Scandinavian/Midcentury modern looking,
    -use solid wood, preferably no veneer crap
    - be able to be built with hand tools.

Matt, that last requirement is the coup de grâce for me. I would have no idea how to advise. Maybe you could get answers on the Neanderthal forum.

Hi Matt,

Sounds like a blessing in disguise because now you'll have more time/less pressure and can be more deliberate

Your choice of design style is a good one for a hand tool only approach in solid wood. The scope is also a good choice and I'd recommend doing the side tables first because they'll be smaller in scale. Beyond that, you'll need to pick dimensions and at least an example of what you like in terms of style. After that you could design as you go, sketch a concept, draw full sized plans or buy a set of plans you like. All approaches work, though drawing a set of full sized plans might be the safest and fastest route in the end.

Hope that helps and we'll look forward to seeing your progress.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I would start with a Google Images search, and find as many examples of furniture that pleases you, and/or matches the style you want to build in. Go to museums or antique stores and sneak pictures of pieces you like, or you may have to buy a book or two about the style you like, not necessarily a "how to build" book, but one with lots of examples of the style. Then start drawing... if all your drawings look like stick figure cows, try Sketchup. If this is your first whack at design, just find a table you like and copy it, maybe with a simple adjustment of dimensions to fit your space.

Keep in mind that Mid-Century Modern was designed with machines in mind. Good mid-century furniture features many curved elements... Quick and easy with a router, much more time consuming by hand.

Matt, a couple of thoughts. The book ‘Tables’ by Anthony Guidice (Taunton) has several end tables and coffee tables. He has plans, cut lists & instruction. Additionally he is a frequent hand tool user. I have built two of his tables using all hand tools. Also veneer can be used on the finest furniture in the world. Take a look at that mesquite veneer table in the project section - it blew me away.

+1 on Steve's advice. I start all friends and customers out like that: find an image they like. Then tweak and design from there.

Use sketchup to mock up before making for someone else...

Thanks for the tips.

I'll try to find that book.
    FWIW, I have some power tools.

The hardest part is mom's tastes--she's the type of person to say she doesn't need anything when asked.
    Or maybe dad, who is somewhat passive aggressive.