Thread: An alternate approach to wide dados

Blog Entries

An alternate approach to wide dados

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this. Using my Bridgeport mill and a shear cutting router bit to make an angled dado. I've cut these with a table saw before, but the width of it (1.125") makes a requirement of two passes which is not preferred since it requires changing the depth for one of the cuts for the floor to match up. If I owned a shaper I could potentially use that, in the interim:

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Here is the resulting cut-out. This is a router bit with down shear cutting at 3000rpms spindle speed. I have not cleaned it up at all (no need) but there is a very modest amount of tear on exit for one of the cuts, the one showing. Pretty happy with this result.

Very clean, Brian.

Will you bring it around this weekend? - I have 24 Dados to cut.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Thanks Derek!

It's nice and portable, carry size.

Very nice job Brian. Crisp and clean.
    I used to have a Bridgeport many years ago and also found it quite useful for woodworking operations, I have Wadkin LQ these days which has a cross-slide table, but not the power feed, which i miss. The Wadkin also gets used for metalwork.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Mark! I agree, it comes in handy so often. Before I had woodworking tools of any significance I made furniture using this machine, solely, along with router bits. The first table I made was done with nothing but sliding dovetails all cut on the Bridgeport.

machined stuff at a tool and die makers places several times. Loved the digital .0005 read out and the totally different way he worked still use three or things I saw him do. We also machined Corrian on the Briidgeport with big end mills excellent finish, still had to be sanded but good. Sad he had a huge Deckel Pantograph which to me was a human CNC machine. Used to grab the handles and feel the floating hovercraft type mechanism, would have been great for smaller patternmaking work.

Thanks for showing that.

Would a boring head or fly cutter work or just not enough chip clearance?
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    I have a DRO on this machine with .0005 readings, you can imagine my feeling when I saw a “digital” read out on some woodworking equipment.

Pantographs are are so cool but surprising that they’re nearly as expensive as CNC machines on the bottom end of the scale.

Bill, maybe something setup for aluminum would have enough clearance. I use end mills but router bits cut cleaner, even at these low speeds. I try to get large bits so I can get some surface speed but even small bits have been fine. I use forstners for boring. This machine has infinitely adjustable speed up to 3300rpm, so forstners can work really well at perfectly ideal speeds.

Blog Entries