Thread: New bandsaw

New bandsaw

I just picked up my new Laguna 14-12 bandsaw from Asheville Hardware in Asheville, NC . 1095.00 plus 99.00 for light kit and 150.00 for wheel kit. I also sprung 149. for the Resaw king blade. The saw is still in the back of my Expedition. I am giving my grandson my old AMT 14 which is still in good shape. I am looking forward to using this nice tool.
    Charlie Jones

Congratulations, Charlie. That's a real nice tool.

I love Asheville. If I weren't dug in where I'm at I would move to Asheville.

I really like my 14-12. Keep you old BS and use it for thin blades, I kept my old Griz 14" BS and have an 1/8 inch blade in it, very convenient.

Congrats on the buy. I am happy with my Laguna BX14. Well, except for the lower guides. In the instruction videos I look at they simply turn the knobs lightly to finger tight. That definitely doesn't work on my saw. When the lower guides open things get wonky in a hurry. Still working on it and again, when things stay right it is a great saw. Dust collection is very good on it. I bought the Port-a-mate mobil kit and rigged up a couple magnetic base lights I all ready had. Laguna is very proud of their accessories but I am sure you have a really nice kit. I am reluctant to buy the high dollar resaw blade until I am squared away with the guides, but would like to hear how you like the blade. When I moved from the east coast to the west coast in '11 I sold my LT-16. Not everything could make the trip, but I miss that one

I had a moment of agony when I said yes to the Resaw King. I have heard good things about them. I am anxious to try it. I have never used a carbide BS blade. The guys at Asheville Hardware also threw in a 1/4 blade as a bonus. If any of you get to Asheville, check out the store. It started as a hardware but now is all woodworking. They carry Laguaa, Festool, Sawstop, Kreg and most of the other brands as well as lumber and used tools. Just a free plug for them being so nice.
    Charlie Jones

Congrats Charlie. That's the saw that I eventually want to buy. I love Asheville and want to relocate to that area sometime in the next few years. Or maybe to around Dahloniga GA. Those are my retirement dreams.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Marshall I hope that works out for you. Jacksonville was probably nicer this winter. We live about 60 miles west of Asheville.
    Charlie Jones

Thanks Charlie. Not enough cold days down here to suit me.

We were in Asheville last November staying at the Sourwood Inn. Beautiful fall colors. Hope to do that again this year.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

Sounds good. We go on an annual RV trip each year for three weeks. After seeing a lot of beautiful places around the US and Canada, we still love to come home. No place is quite like it to us.
    Charlie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Jones View Post
    I had a moment of agony when I said yes to the Resaw King. I have heard good things about them. I am anxious to try it. I have never used a carbide BS blade. The guys at Asheville Hardware also threw in a 1/4 blade as a bonus. If any of you get to Asheville, check out the store. It started as a hardware but now is all woodworking. They carry Laguaa, Festool, Sawstop, Kreg and most of the other brands as well as lumber and used tools. Just a free plug for them being so nice.
    Sounds like Highland Hardware, now Highland Woodworking.

What's the "wheel kit"?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    What's the "wheel kit"?
    Mobile base.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    What's the "wheel kit"?
    It’s three wheels that make an attached mobile base. There are two small wheels on one side and a third on the other side with a lift pedal. Looking at the You Tube videos it seems to work well. My old machine is not mobile but it might be handy to reposition for long stock. My shop is only 16x20.
    Charlie Jones

Got the bandsaw out of the box and assembled. After a little adjusting I put on the Resaw King and my first cut was a 1/8 slice from a piece of spruce. I could not be more pleased. The instructions left a little to be desired but Laguna has some excellent You Tube videos. All the parts were there and everything works as advertised. Two people would make it a little easier to get it moved and unboxed. All my friends and relatives were either out of town our otherwise unavailable. With help from some PVC pipe rollers I got it into the shop. Standing up the assembled saw was a little challenging but iI did it without injury.
    Charlie Jones