Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Else Buy The SS Woodpeckers Paolini Rules?

Blog Entries
    They just gave the other one for free and didn't ask you to ship it back?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    They just gave the other one for free and didn't ask you to ship it back?
    No, they won’t ship the third set till they get the other two sets back. Thinking now of just asking for a full refund.

Do they work?

And do you have other shop tools with a perfect surface after use?

I guess I look at it the way many people look at a new dirt bike. Look forward to the first crash so you can stop worrying about scratching it. One friend took his and threw it into first gear while standing next to it and just let it go.

Just a comment, really more about purchasing steel rules than just about this one ...

The ONLY ones that work for me are those with a matte finish. My Starrett combination blades are all matte. Shiny is hard to read, and bright stainless steel would fall in this category. Personally, I do not care that much about a few scratches - although it would irk for a while when straight out of the box - because tools acquire stratches quite quickly in use. These are low level scratches and generally merge into the background against a matte finish.

I would return the rule you have and purchase a Starrett in matte.

Regards from Perth

Derek

These have a matte finish but the flawed areas are shinny.

Oh, I’m old enough (I mean experienced) enough to know the rules will get scratched but I want to do that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    No, they won’t ship the third set till they get the other two sets back. Thinking now of just asking for a full refund.
    Maybe I'm confused, but it sounds like you've paid for one set and now have two sets? From the WP perspective, I'd want those two (flawed) sets back before sending out another set. If the third set doesn't make you happy, then send it back and you get a refund, including shipping. Seems fair to me.

I have mixed feelings about WP. They are expensive, but they make good stuff. The cost of actually manufacturing things in this country is why most things come from Asia these days. Is all of Starrett's stuff still made in this country?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Maybe I'm confused, but it sounds like you've paid for one set and now have two sets? From the WP perspective, I'd want those two (flawed) sets back before sending out another set. If the third set doesn't make you happy, then send it back and you get a refund, including shipping. Seems fair to me.

I have mixed feelings about WP. They are expensive, but they make good stuff. The cost of actually manufacturing things in this country is why most things come from Asia these days. Is all of Starrett's stuff still made in this country?
    They gave me a return label for the first set when I got the second...and so on.

OK, sounds like they'd like the flawed ones back before sending out more. Still confused about where the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

Derek
    Me too Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I have several 6" rules I purchased from Lee Valley some years ago and they were about $10 each. They are matt finish and accurate. I would recommend them highly.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Here is photo for reference:

Attachment 384251

These show up if the light hits the blemishes. I used my fingernail and you can't feel them. On the other rules the blemishes run the length of the rule so not at noticeable. Looks like the base metal was not finished correctly?

Mike
    I’ve had 2nds from PEC that look better than that. It may be unreasonable to expect perfection but when I pay a premium price I expect something handled with kid gloves until delivered.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I’ve had 2nds from PEC that look better than that.
    My thought exactly.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have old Starrett that look better than that! For a premium price, I want premium tools!
    CPeter

I have half a dozen 6" stainless steel rules (matte finish) that cost me a few bucks at the most each. They have metric and imperial on one side and a conversion table on the other, something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/150mm-Stain.../dp/B004K7KKH2

Unless I am missing something, why the heck would a 6" ss rule cost over $100?

Those cheapos are good for Charlesworth's "ruler trick" if you do use such trick.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    I have half a dozen 6" stainless steel rules (matte finish) that cost me a few bucks at the most each. They have metric and imperial on one side and a conversion table on the other, something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/150mm-Stain.../dp/B004K7KKH2

Unless I am missing something, why the heck would a 6" ss rule cost over $100?

Those cheapos are good for Charlesworth's "ruler trick" if you do use such trick.

Simon
    The PEC blem 4R 6" rules are $6.99 right now on eBay with free shipping. That's less than I paid for my LV rules.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.