Thread: ABS and PVC fittings for urn threads

ABS and PVC fittings for urn threads

Trying to get to the bottom of this issue. I have searched the web and this site extensively and it appears to be a split jury on use of PVC or ABS fittings for threads in hollow vessels/urns. Obviously, it can be done and that is well documented but I also see posts suggesting that the threads jam easily. So the question is should I or should I not use this technique. I really don't want to pay a premium for brass and they are not that easy to find around 2 inches in diameter. I also really don't want to make a beautiful vessel and screw a top on and get it stuck. Is PVC (white) better or worse than ABS (black) as far as jamming?

I'm interested in hearing your experiences. Thanks!

Jenny, I would use ABS or PVC fittings like your thinking of, and the one I would use would depend on the wood. If the wood is light colored, I would use the PVC fittings. And if the wood is darker colored, I would then use the ABS fittings. If you are thinking of making a lot of screw on lids, I would suggest you learn how to turn threads in the wood. The brass fittings look very nice when used, but they are expensive. So, unless your getting paid top dollar for your work, use ABS or PVC and be happy with the outcome.
    Len

I do not use the whole abs fitting. I only use about 1/4" of both thats about 2 or 3 threads worth. If you use the whole fitting the taper in the threads will make it tighter the further you thread it in. Here is a link to the tutorial i learned from. https://www.woodturningonline.com/as...s_for_urns.pdf

Chris beat me to the Brad Adams tutorial. It is excellent.
    Last edited by Dwight Rutherford; 04-19-2018 at 10:27 PM.

I use a powered threader. I have one from Chefwarekits and I have the Baxter threader from Bestwoodtools.com You can thread surprisingly soft woods with these machines. I also hand chase threads and will do it one of 2 ways. One is to simply find a good wood that takes threads and make these as inserts similar to the PVC. The other is to cut grooves in the wood and fill it with colored epoxy. Then I turn away the wood and chase my threads i that. I do this with woods that are too soft to thread. I don't like the PVC. It makes it look cheap. If your sell your urns you will pay for one of the threader pretty quickly. When I bought the Baxter threader I made threaded lid boxes and sold them to pay it off.

I came across this source for brass threads. They are the least expensive I've seen.

https://www.fromwalnuttoantlers.com/shop

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Trice View Post
    Trying to get to the bottom of this issue. I have searched the web and this site extensively and it appears to be a split jury on use of PVC or ABS fittings for threads in hollow vessels/urns. Obviously, it can be done and that is well documented but I also see posts suggesting that the threads jam easily. So the question is should I or should I not use this technique. I really don't want to pay a premium for brass and they are not that easy to find around 2 inches in diameter. I also really don't want to make a beautiful vessel and screw a top on and get it stuck. Is PVC (white) better or worse than ABS (black) as far as jamming?

I'm interested in hearing your experiences. Thanks!
    MHO, I can’t imagin making a “beautiful vessel” and putting PVC on it.
    I would go with the solid brass option.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hunkele View Post
    I came across this source for brass threads. They are the least expensive I've seen.

Have you used these? If so whats the quality like.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hunkele View Post

I have been making my own brass threaded inserts, I consider these a bargain, I will using these in the future. Thanks for the source.

Thanks Jackie Outtan for helping me getting my password fixed. Jenny, your thread summed up why I started making threaded brass inserts for woodturners. I had a bad time with my crumbling and warping wood threads so I wanted inserts. Started using the ABS and PVC but found out that the strength of wood is more than the ABS and PVC so it also warped, ever so slightly, enough to bind the threads in my memorial urns. Someone commented that brass turns like hard wood so I went looking for threaded brass plumbing parts at Menards and Home Depot that I could re-propose into inserts. We found out it just wasn't as simple as that sounded, but I liked making brass shavings. I machine the rough brass parts and and sand customer exposed areas to 400 grit. Turner exposed areas are sanded only to 150 so the epoxy can adhere.

The 2" size works for pet urns and funeral directors have told me the 3" opening works well for the memorial urns because they are able to transfer the entire bag without disturbing the contents. I can customize the inserts if you need as well, just discuss this ahead of time.
    I have been a long time reader / student of posts on this website. Sincerely, thank you for allowing me to introduce myself.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-21-2018 at 9:49 PM. Reason: removed links to for profit site

Rick those are beautiful and I think it's the way to go if you truely want a memorable vessel. I will pass this info on to our club.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris A Lawrence View Post
    Have you used these? If so whats the quality like.
    I have just recently run across this source and haven't tried them yet. They appear to be a quality item.

If you use plastic pipe fittings, heed the warnings and only use the first 1/4" or so of thread. These fittings are tapered and designed to get tighter as they are screwed together. This taper will cause your lids to bind up if you use more than the first few threads. On occasion, I have needed more than 1/4" of thread and I ended up having to chase the threads out to get the parts to screw together without binding. I used a steel point to scrape the threads deeper and that worked OK but it's a PITA. Brass is infinitely more elegant than plastic. Worth the cost for a fine piece. It's not to hard to repurpose brass plumbing parts but if you figure the extra hours needed, you will spend more than $25 in time doing it.
    David DeCristoforo

I have only made a few with threaded lids and used PVC as ABS fittings are not available locally (not allowed by code I was told). As mentioned above, use only about 2 threads worth of material. As far as jamming, once the material is transferred, it gennerally is not opened again, and in at least one case was buried immediately, so jamming is not really to big an issue IMHO.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).