Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wixey WR550 planner guage.

Wixey WR550 planner guage.

Is this a good addtion, or will I have buyers remorse after the new wears off ? I dont mind spending money on something that is useful, just dont want to spend money on a gimmick.

It's not a gimmick, it's honestly one of the best $50 or whatever I spent for my shop. No lie.

I think it is essential for the planer. I love mine on my grizzly 15" planer. I bought the one for the table saw and didn't like it, so I guess it will be personal thing. I think the difference is that I think the stock gauge on the planer sucked. I like the stock measurement system on the tablesaw fence.

Blog Entries
    Had one on my DW734 and loved it. Added a DRO to my 15" floor planer and love it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Where is the best place to buy these DRO things . IS wixey the only brand that makes them ? Thanks,Mike.

I thank Wixey is the only one. Igaging I may have one not sure. The Igaging one had to have adapters to make it work. Wixey mounts directly to the planner.

7. I just put the remote digital readout on my 24" scm planer and im happy with the results so far

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Compton View Post
    I thank Wixey is the only one. Igaging I may have one not sure. The Igaging one had to have adapters to make it work. Wixey mounts directly to the planner.
    AFAIK Wixey is the only company making a dedicated add-on planer gauge. The Euro Combo machines often have a depth gauge built into the elevation wheel or similar. I needed more than 6" of travel for my Jet combo so got a 12" Igaging. It took a little thinking on how to mount and calibrate it but it works quite well.
    iGagagingDRO.JPG

I have one on my Jet JJP12-HH. I would hate to do without it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Where is the best place to buy these DRO things . IS wixey the only brand that makes them ? Thanks,Mike.
    The Wixey has the cool zeroing feature and it works well for re-calibrating. I needed more range and so also used the iGaging for my larger planer.

G0435Z DRO.JPG

I have only had to re-calibrate it once other than swapping batteries (which last a stupid long time).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I ordered it from Hartville tools last night. Yes

I installed the 12"guage on my Robland X31 about 8 years ago. works great and I wouldn't hesitate installing one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Compton View Post
    Is this a good addtion, or will I have buyers remorse after the new wears off ? I dont mind spending money on something that is useful, just dont want to spend money on a gimmick.

Tim what was the price,I ordered the wr550 on Amazon last night for 70. Mike

It was $69.00 plus free shipping and no sales tax from Hartville tools, I would have got it from Amazon, but wanted to try Hartville, I have heard good things about so I gave them a try.

Thanks,Tim was hoping that I did not overpay. Usually comparison shop a bit more,this time I just bought it.Mike.