Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Drill Press

Looking for a Drill Press

I'm looking for a bench top drill press in the $200-$250 range and considering the WEN 4214 12-Inch Variable Speed Drill Press. Anyone have thoughts on this model or other recommendations in that price range?

Blog Entries
    I went to the BORG, put my hands on the bench top drill press I wanted, and bought it home.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I went to the BORG, put my hands on the bench top drill press I wanted, and bought it home.
    Brand?
    Model?
    Cost?
    Review?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Ristine View Post
    Brand?
    Model?
    Cost?
    Review?
    It is a 12" Delta, hp is adequate. My review is I have had it for about 10 years and it is a good press.
    You need to go to your purveyor of tools, handle them, make your choice, carry it home, and plug it in.

That's what I did.

In that price range, I'd be most concerned with the reputation of the customer service of the brand. They're pretty much all made in Asia now, unless you want to find a used one and restore it.

I just received my drill press last week, ended up going with one model down, the 4212. So far, I've had no issues with it except the top cover would rattle while running. I sandwiched a small piece of felt between the top and bottom cover to stop the rattle.

That belt-less speed change is pretty awesome, just turn a lever while running to adjust the speed, brilliant.

Too fast for large bit's. Slowest speed is 580rpm. Other than that, I'm sure it's fine
    I probably have the same drill press as Lowell, but 10+ years older. It's been a pretty reliable drill press actually, but it also is to fast. I will either be retrofitting it with a treadmill motor, and speed controller, or replacing it.
    I've been scanning Craigslist for a heavy duty drill press, and an old working treadmill to make my own. We'll see where that takes me.

You need low RPM for larger Forstner bits. Metal work also requires some low speeds.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    In that price range, I'd be most concerned with the reputation of the customer service of the brand. They're pretty much all made in Asia now, unless you want to find a used one and restore it.
    At $110, if it fails, replace it. Mine is a good drill press.

Lowell, I didn't mean to imply that your drill press wasn't a good one. Mine is a cheap Craftsman, but it works fine for me. I guess that my point was is that there seems to be a sameness in most of them that I see at the low end.

I just got a Porter Cable 8-amp 12 speed floor press from Lowes for $399. I know its not a bench top and a little over your price range but I also originally was looking for something like what you stated when I found this. The extra $150 for me was worth it in this case, not sure what all your intended use is but thought I would throw it out there as something to consider. I have been very pleased with it so far.

I've had the Jet 12" bench top for a few years. Got it for variable speed controls. Laser is useless. But I would look closely at the metal table on whatever you get to see how you would attach an auxiliary table for woodworking. Without adding a table, clamping surfaces are inadequate for working on even the simplest things. Mine would require drilling the metal table to attach a table. I guess they just don't design them with woodworking needs in mind.

Given you budget I would go used. An old Delta, Craftsman or Walker Turner are better choices. There all cast iron and the older motors are better than newer ones with equal horsepower.

i upgraded from my Craftsman radial DP to a 50’s Craftsman floor model and its night and day.
    Don

I would also suggest used or bigger.I bought a Delta 14 from the 90's this winter for 160. I had to replace the chuck key and repair the handles(loctite and helicoils). It was like new. ended up with about 220 in it. 12 speeeds ,floor model,great machine. Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon SPEAKS View Post
    I just got a Porter Cable 8-amp 12 speed floor press from Lowes for $399. I know its not a bench top and a little over your price range but I also originally was looking for something like what you stated when I found this. The extra $150 for me was worth it in this case, not sure what all your intended use is but thought I would throw it out there as something to consider. I have been very pleased with it so far.
    Thanks for the recommendation Brandon. As far as the intended use, I'm a beginner woodworker just starting out. I'm trying to fill my shop with equipment that allows me the best chance to see if this is a long-term hobby or not, while watching out for my budget. Thus, the $200-$250 price range.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    But I would look closely at the metal table on whatever you get to see how you would attach an auxiliary table for woodworking. Without adding a table, clamping surfaces are inadequate for working on even the simplest things. Mine would require drilling the metal table to attach a table. I guess they just don't design them with woodworking needs in mind.
    Thanks Stan. I didn't even think about the metal table and auxiliary table as something to look at. What are the considerations I be looking for attaching the auxiliary table?

-Mike