Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What to look for in a Shop Vac?

It's hard for me to beat HD price on their big Rigid 16 gallon 6.5 HP vac/blower. They come with a lifetime warranty. I spent 99 buck on one 15 years ago and have gone through 3. Its a shame, but their switches were junk for a while. The current one is much more robust. It's no fine piece of machinery, but for sucking up dirt, sawdust, water, leaves, etc. it's been hard to beat.
    Dan

I am on my second Fein, a Turbo II. First one lasted 15 years. Also use a dust deputy with it. It works. This is in addition to my 2 hp central dust collection unit. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    I am on my second Fein, a Turbo II. First one lasted 15 years. Also use a dust deputy with it. It works. This is in addition to my 2 hp central dust collection unit. Randy
    Hi,
    If your new one is the new design with the flat top that replaced the old discontinued model, how do you feel the two models compare?
    Edwin

Edwin, I never had the old version, so I can't compare them, but I can tell you that the flat area on the top of the new one is a handy area to keep various attachments. I don't use any "stock" Fein attachments, so the ones I do use don't fit into the slots/hooks on the sides.

Marshall - I echo the other fellas that say you can't meet both needs with a vacuum. If you're going to get one though, that Fein is good value and will be great for later on when you want to hook up a sander, biscuit joiner, router, ect...

I'd also give this guy a call and get down there as fast as you can if it's still available. You won't do better for the money.

https://staugustine.craigslist.org/t...526935182.html

there's also one listed in Smyrna Beach too.

A fella in Tallahassee has a 2hp Grizzly reasonably priced and I know that's an easy drive from you.

https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/t...560782971.html
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 04-22-2018 at 8:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Marshall - I echo the other fellas that say you can't meet both needs with a vacuum. If you're going to get one though, that Fein is good value and will be great for later on when you want to hook up a sander, biscuit joiner, router, ect...

I'd also give this guy a call and get down there as fast as you can if it's still available. You won't do better for the money.

https://staugustine.craigslist.org/t...526935182.html

there's also one listed in Smyrna Beach too.

A fella in Tallahassee has a 2hp Grizzly reasonably priced and I know that's an easy drive from you.

https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/t...560782971.html
    Thanks Dave. I emailed the guy in Elkton to see if its still available. If it is I'll buy it. It would make a good start on a dust collection system that I can build on later.

I just checked CL a couple of days ago and that didn't show up even though it says it was posted about a month ago. My CL foo has been real bad lately. Hopefully its still available
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

M - that Grizz over in Tally would be worth the drive over. Assuming it’s not trashed. It might even have a canister filter too, I can’t remember.

Blog Entries
    I bought a 16gal. Ridged 2or 3 years ago after reading many reviews. I think it's the best budget choice.

Marshall, I think you’d do well to pick up the 2hp HF DC, plus a shop vac.
    With a coupon you can get the DC for about $165. That top bag filter isn’t ideal (5 microns) but for about $30 you can pick up a lower micron cloth filter off Amazon.

Another $50 or so will get you a used Ridgid off craigslist. They’re indestructible, and will drown out the sound or near any dust making tool.

I’ve got a nice German vac hooked up to a dust deputy, plus a 16 yr old Ridgid that won’t pass the ghost.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions and advice.

I'll probably have to settle for aggravating Al Gore and just exhausting the dust into the atmosphere. Seems SWMBO is getting fed up with my recent spree. Got to let things cool down some. But we'll see what happens...
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.