Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: CNC arrives.... :)

The first thing I did was to connect my CNC computer to the Internet. Had to so I could download Mach4 since it's locked to that machine. I didn't want to jump through hoops downloading it to the computer in the house and getting Mach4 associated with the computer in the shop. Besides, I upload all my files from this computer with Fusion 360 to Dropbox and then open them from Mach4 out in the shop. Everything related to updates and Windows 'stuff' is turned off on that computer in the shop. Occasionally I'll use that computer to research something but only when it's not running the CNC. Otherwise I go back into the house and use this computer. The CNC computer is well protected with firewall and antivirus/malware software and it's on our Wi-Fi network that is also very protected.

Basically, if the CNC isn't running then that computer is off anyway. But when it's on I'm comfortable with the setup and security. Also, the screensaver is set to something like two hours so it rarely comes on. I could turn it off but it's not a big deal either way.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    One more piece of advice, don't connect your shop computer to the Internet EVER.
    I’m with Keith on this one. You should stop thinking of it as a computer, it’s not, it’s a machine controller. I can see having it connected to a LAN for transferring files, but if you don’t know how to isolate it from the internet, it’s better to cut the connection totally-nothing wrong with using a usb drive. For example, David, what if on one of your other computers you add or change something on Dropbox, and you CNC computer sees it and starts to download in the middle of a cut?

How can your antivirus be effective if not updating? If you’re running it, it’s connecting to the net with no way to control when. I keep it up to date on my design machine, so I don’t have to worry about my usb sticks.
    Colorado Woodworkers Guild
    Colorado CNC User Group

Richard, OS and AV updates can be handled manually "on demand" as can updates to application software. They do not need to be automatic. Internet connectivity is required for some support situations, too. In the case of Camaster, they use TeamViewer for that. One can certainly only connect physically when it's necessary for support, but as someone that's spent decades in the tech industry, I'm comfortable with my "machine controller" being on my LAN full time. Maybe I'll find that not to be the case over time, but schlepping back and forth to the house and up and down stairs to my office could get old if I need to always use a USB stick for things like file transfer. It's good to have choices and we each need to carefully consider what works best for us individually.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm not sure I understand. My machine controller runs on a separate card? Are you saying the reason not to have your machine tied to the internet is because windows or some other app could initiate and update and reboot while a file is being run on your controller? I think I'm pretty confident that would never, and will never, happen on my control PC.

Gadzukes with talk about government computer work and so I was afraid my CNC was some how capable of some sort of mind control over me in the shop or monitoring my business activities and triggering an IRS audit or something g lol

Jim, I'm sort of like you with my setup; this computer is in the house and the CNC computer is in the attached garage. I don't want to be going back and forth any more than I have to but, having been in the technology sector for the last 25 years, my network and setup is pretty secure. All updates on the CNC computer are controlled by me and the only thing that stays live is Dropbox, which does update while I'm running files but has never caused an issue. If it ever does I'll nuke the connection while I'm running files from that point forward. But for the last year and a half it's been ok.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Hi Jim

Were the wheels only for getting it inside or do you keep them on?
    RedSail M900 - 100W Laser with RECI Tube and Rotary.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Madsen View Post

Were the wheels only for getting it inside or do you keep them on?
    The casters were purchased primarily for getting the unit into my shop, but can also be used should I need to move the machine out for tiling a large piece of material that's bigger (longer) than the machining area on the CNC. I was advised by about a billion folks not to leave it on the casters for stability reasons which I concur with. When the gantry is moving at a good clip, it can conceivably move a 900 lb tool slightly if it's not on the most stable footing. Casters, even the best quality ones, are going to be less stable than the 5"x5" pads of the legs sitting directly on the floor.

If I need to reinstall the casters, it will only take about 20 minutes tops and it's only that slow because of working hard to avoid banging my head on the heavy steel machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

so cool I am in a basement so I had to defer to a kit to build. You do have the caddilac for sure! Had I not had that issue, I'd got a used stinger! Post lots of pic's