Thread: One off the bucket list...

One off the bucket list...

Hello everyone.

I have been in love with the Shaker Hancock village candlestick table for a long time. The cut of the legs is just perfect. Makes me think of a spider...

Anyway, finally got around to making one. Mostly handtools (I prepared the stock with powertools.) Sliding dovetails connect the feet to the spindle. Not an overly complicated table, but I really enjoyed making it. I can't wait to see how the cherry will darken over time in the light.

20180417_120526.jpg20180417_120604.jpg20180417_120617.jpg20180417_120625.jpg20180417_120642.jpg

Regards,

Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well done! It looks great now, and I think you’re going to love it when it ages. What finish did you use?

Thanks Phil. It has 2 coats of thin (1# cut) shellac and 3 of Tru-Oil. I used steel wool to knock out a lot of the sheen.

Blog Entries
    Can you give some details on how you made the top. How did you make it so crisp and sharp?

Looks great! Impressed that it was mostly hand tools. Give it a bit of sunshine for a suntan!

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Good looking table Michael! The overall lines are perfect, and as Lowell mentioned, the top is "crisp".

Question? It looks like you screwed the top to the base at 6 points. How did you allow for wood movement; eg, did you elongat the holes or something?

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Hi Fred. Yes the holes are elongated in the top support. I drilled oversize holes and then used a rat tail rasp to elongate in one direction.

As for the chamfer it's a flat surface so it wasn't hard. The tricky bit was just the grain on the round table kept changing.
    Last edited by Michael Fross; 04-19-2018 at 8:09 PM.

Michael, well executed! I just made one myself. Great job on getting the sliding dove tails on the legs to meet up with the center spindle. Bob
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Very nice work, Michael.....The sliding DTs are the fun part of the project.....Keep it in the sun..The cherry will darken....Good job!!!
    Jerry