Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Online Inventories

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Lowes has a guarantee that if you place an order online it will be ready in 30 minutes when you come by. It checks the inventory as you place the order so they know it is in stock.
    Only problem is if they do not meet the promise there is nothing they do for you except tell you to come back in a few days and maybe the stuff will be in stock by then. no free delivery when it does come in, no gift card, no nothing!
    Bill D
    That's not a guarantee then, that's a suggestion.

Blog Entries
    A home project supply store that doesn't have cement mixing tubs? Some manager, or even a lot of managers, should be fired.

When we have bought them at HD, we had to decide which size. We have used a few of them for various things. They make good cat litter boxes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

And I stopped into another Lowes today, since I was just driving by with my wife and they were supposed to have 52 of these stupid things in stock... not a darn thing on the shelf. Once again asked the guys at the commercial desk since they're sitting 50 feet away and they have no idea. How much do you want to bet that these things are sitting in the back room gathering dust?

The ones I love are when the website shows "none at your store" and "not available for delivery". When none of the nearby (as in "all of southern California"), showed the same thing, I called Lowes corporate and asked about it. Turns out it means it's a discontinued item but they won't remove it from the website as long as any store anywhere shows a non-zero quantity on hand.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    And I stopped into another Lowes today, since I was just driving by with my wife and they were supposed to have 52 of these stupid things in stock... not a darn thing on the shelf. Once again asked the guys at the commercial desk since they're sitting 50 feet away and they have no idea. How much do you want to bet that these things are sitting in the back room gathering dust?
    More likely 12' up on top of a shelf in a completely different department.

The layout of the stores doesn't help either. My Home Depot has paving bricks with the building materials and edging bricks in the garden department, on the opposite corner of the building, near enough 1/4-mile away. Not to mention oddities like having hoses in the garden department and hose repair parts in the plumbing department.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

There are three HDs within five miles of my house. They are laid out different, one is a mirror image of the other, the third is just different. they have slightly different inventories.
    All are flat basic city lots with no special reason to be laid out the way they are not designed to fit the lot in any special way. no relation to compass directions etc.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    People just walk out with them.
    We use to have an small Hardware store here in town. They had problems with people grabbing high ticked items, going out the back fire exit to a car waiting for them. Long gone before employees could check the exit.
    I knew a lady that worked in a store, Said one Saturday in spring the garden department was busy selling lawn mowers. When the manager came in they told him the new employee he had was doing well making sales that day. The Manager said "I don't have any new employees" Turns out some kid had a store uniform on. Friends would pull up front and he would load them a new push mower. Never saw the kid again.
    When Hudson's had their downtown Detroit store a couple decades ago two guys stole a canoe. They got caught when they came back and tried for the paddles.

You just can't make this stuff up.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    People just walk out with them.
    We use to have an small Hardware store here in town. They had problems with people grabbing high ticked items, going out the back fire exit to a car waiting for them. Long gone before employees could check the exit.
    Except these are not high ticket items, they're $5. And even if people were stealing them, virtually all stores would have just had their inventories and all of those numbers would have been corrected. I just don't get that *ALL* stores, even the ones that report online that they have a ton, have none when you walk in the door. That's 3 stores I've walked into that have had empty shelves with a sizeable online inventory.

You want cheap or you want good service. Most people want cheap. Few alternatives left.

Several years ago we got a call from a grocery store, seems the cops have your son and daughter-in-law in custody for shoplifting. (different son, not the DIL's hubby)...
    They got caught stealing a carton of cigarettes and a VHS movie. But the funny part was when the store manager says "Yeah, we've watched them take stuff occasionally, usually a pack of smokes or a candy bar..."

You WHAT? You've seen them stealing from you several times and this is the first time you did anything?? "Well, this time they were into the $40-$50 range so we thought we'd better step in"....

We couldn't believe our ears! Let them get away with the penny-ante stuff and step in only when they start getting more bold... Why let them get away with it at ALL? When I was about 7 years old I got caught stealing a 5 cent pencil eraser, and I thought I was going to prison for sure! I didn't go into that store again for 5 years!

It's no wonder shoplifting is so rampant...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I finally found what I was looking for at a store way out of the way, there were plenty on the shelf (just not where the online directory said they would be in the store), so at least I know where to go now. This is just another example of stores making everything harder while pretending to make it easier for the consumer.

I have never, not once, looked at a product on Rockler's web site that showed correct inventory. Every single one says "call store to verify availability." It has driven me to ignore Rockler's site.

I've found Lowes and HD to be accurate unless it says there are 1-2 left, because in many cases that means a floor demo model, or they just "lost" one or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    I have never, not once, looked at a product on Rockler's web site that showed correct inventory. Every single one says "call store to verify availability." It has driven me to ignore Rockler's site.
    They changed their system quite awhile ago, maybe 6-7 years, so the individual stores don't report back sales to corporate in real-time. But the in-store computer tends to be very accurate for quantity-on-hand.

At least the website gives you the item number for the guy to look up, rather than trying to describe some obscure router bit shape over the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    They changed their system quite awhile ago, maybe 6-7 years, so the individual stores don't report back sales to corporate in real-time. But the in-store computer tends to be very accurate for quantity-on-hand.

At least the website gives you the item number for the guy to look up, rather than trying to describe some obscure router bit shape over the phone.
    The end result is that I look everywhere else first and Rockler is my last resort.

Doing an online order from Lowes right now for the wife to pick up...hope this thread didn't jinx me...

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post

I've found Lowes and HD to be accurate unless it says there are 1-2 left, because in many cases that means a floor demo model, or they just "lost" one or whatever.
    Which would be fine if they'd actually go look, but I know they don't. I was in a HD quite a while ago, loading up some things down by the contractor desk when they got a call, I assume, asking if there was something in stock. And the guy put the phone down, just stood there for a minute, then got on the phone again and said they had it. He never looked it up on the computer and he certainly never went to check the aisle. It gets the person into the store and if the shelves are empty, then they can say it sold out between the time he called and the time he showed up. So there's no point in calling either.