Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Online Inventories

Blog Entries
    As it has been since the earliest days . . . Garbage In = Garbage Out. Like websites that get abandoned or any sort of data base function that loses its sparkle. Poor care and feeding result in misinformation. At work we try to purge poorly cared for data. Our position is that no data is better than bad data; no data makes you reverse engineer or seek things out . . . bad data specifically misguides you. We prefer the former.

As a defense against the "wasted trip" syndrome, I use "buy online, pick up in store". They email when it is at the service desk which around here generally takes an hour or two. Either that or they report the item as unavailable via the same email system. I may still lose some time but, I can be productive while I'm waiting for the verdict.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-27-2018 at 12:12 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That is certainly not normal, and is just one employee being a lazy a-hole.

Funny story...two weeks ago I found myself wanting to buy something at Lowes that was up high, and needed a large cart. I couldn't find either an employee nor a large cart. Said screw this and placed an online order for it. Did the rest of my shopping. Got to the front and my large item was there waiting. Hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    As a defense against the "wasted trip" syndrome, I use "buy online, pick up in store". They email when it is at the service desk which around here generally takes an hour or two. Either that or they report the item as unavailable via the same email system. I may still lose some time but, I can be productive while I'm waiting for the verdict.
    Especially useful for heavy stuff like toilets and bathroom vanity tops, as I've had multiple occasions to discover recently. That approach not only saves a potential wasted trip, it saves me going on a scavenger hunt for the correct flavor cart (all of which are usually at the "wrong" end of the store) and also ensures the instant availability of a worker bee to help load it in the car.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    As a defense against the "wasted trip" syndrome, I use "buy online, pick up in store".
    During last year's Christmas shopping, I wanted to pick up a set of socket wrenches for my daughter. Searched on-line, and Lowes had a set like I wanted, and showed plenty in stock. I went to the store, searched all through the tool section, but could not find the set that I wanted. I flagged down a blue-clad worker who helped me search. After 15 or 20 minutes of looking, neither of us could find the set that I had seen on-line. The clerk said "Well, I guess we don't have those" and walked away. I pulled out my phone, ordered the set for in-store pickup, and went and stood by the service desk. A different clerk pulled the ticket, walked directly to the wrenches in an end-of-aisle display, and brought them to me. We both had a good laugh, but the original clerk was not amused.

I wonder who's job it was to update the item location for the Holiday Promotion?