Thread: Disston D-12

Blog Entries

Disston D-12

I have one. It came to me rusty, with the handle broken, and missing saw nuts. It is a 10tpi crosscut. You can see the medallion after the grunge was removed.
    I made a new curly maple handle, put new after market saw nuts on it, cleaned the grunge off and put Johnson's floor wax on it and sharpened the saw.
    It has five saw nuts. When I sharpened the saw, I filed the old teeth off and re-toothed the saw. The medallion is visible and the saw has a bright look.
    I filed it cross cut and it really cuts fast and smoothly.

I have 12 old handsaws and most of them have been sharpened and set. I have seven saw sets, may favorite is an old Taintor set.
    There were saw nuts missing, so I had to put new saw nuts on it. I have extra Disston saw nuts, but when I use them, they may not
    be the ones that were original to the saw. The D-12 is considered to be the top of the Disston line.

That should be a nice saw. I picked up an old D12 awhile back that is still sitting waiting to be refurbed, this might have just inspired me to make it a project for this weekend.

Blog Entries
    You will not regret refurbishing the saw.

According to the Disston Institute, the D-12 is the top of the line. I can say it is taper ground and easy to work on.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-18-2018 at 11:43 PM.

I've been a Disston #16 fan forever, even though I have a D12, full size rip, it just never felt right.....THEN at the recently past Brown Tool Sale & Auction, I picked up a #12 panel saw, sharpened 9pt. CC, and my saw life has changed. Perfect length, handle is a bit smaller & fits my hand perfectly.

Only downside, is I over paid ($100), but the saw is an excellent original finish, shiny (uncleaned or otherwise polished) saw plate, and the saw cuts perfectly. Almost too pretty to use, but, hey, it just feels so right in hand.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    I like panel saws. I have two, one that was a panel saw and another that I made. I had a saw that the blade was broken, so I filed the break straight, re-toothed the saw and sharpened it.
    It is 8tpi 17 3/8" long crosscut. I left the original handle on it. I may make a new curly maple handle. I put a curly maple handle on another saw and really like it.