Thread: Locked out

Locked out

My sister has a small detached garage that has an "overhead door" brand opener. It's many years old and not the programmable kind. The door is shut and the only remote won't open it. No other doors or windows to gain entry. Battery replaced in the remote. Any one know a way to gain entry that won't require cutting walls? Thought I'd ask here before calling the garage door company.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

For safety sake, there should be a separate door in any case, so that would not be a silly way to solve the dilemma.

To get in without the new door, it's my understanding that doors can be released from the opener with a tool that slides in over the top and disengage the connector, then lift the door by hand if you're strong enough. I have no experience in how the detachment works or what kind of tool is involved, but I have heard it discussed by a police officer who investigates burglaries. Maybe try on Google U. or maybe YouTube.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios Fradelakis View Post
    I was about to point to a similar video I just saw the other week. I've never had the need to try it myself, but it's at least something. Also, have you confirmed that there is power to the garage and you haven't tripped a breaker recently or anything like that?
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

As shown in the video, try to hook the rope with a hanger or something to disengage the door.

Brilliant, thank you. Giving that a shot.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Nice to know how to break into anyone's garage! But I WILL be checking mine and coming up with a fix.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Blog Entries
    Now that you know how to get in you can make it easier the next time with one of these.
    release.gif
    It mounts in your door, has a key lock and will let you release the door from outside. I have one on my garage with no man door and have used it once when the power was off to get in the garage.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Now that you know how to get in you can make it easier the next time with one of these.
    release.gif
    It mounts in your door, has a key lock and will let you release the door from outside. I have one on my garage with no man door and have used it once when the power was off to get in the garage.
    Neighbor had one of those and I went to help and asked for the key and she said it was on the key ring so I asked her get me the ring and she said it was in the car in the garage

Because this is a known thing - I have safety wired the release latches shut on my garage doors.... If you need to get in - you can use your house key on the regular door... And it's easy enough to untie the safety wire from a ladder on the inside when there is a power outage.