Thread: Black Walnut urn

Black Walnut urn

Bruce Page's post about the box he made for his beloved pet's remains reminded me of an Urn that I made for some close friends. Their pet is in failing health and they are trying to prepare for the inevitable.
    It has a screw on lid, [1 1/4" PVC] and is end grain Black Walnut. Approximately 9"X 5". Finished with several coats of gloss WOP.
    Attached Images Attached Images

very nice daryl
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Looks very good.
    C&C WELCOME

Neat!

I have a couple dust critters that are unceremoniously living in cardboard. Looks like I need to get to work!

Thanks for looking and commenting, David, Allan and Jed.
    It seems I spend more time turning bowls and it's always nice to turn something different, I just wish the circumstances of this project weren't so sad.

Losing a pet is always so hard. Especially dogs. My dad had to lay to rest his 9 year old black lab, Sadee just recently. She was in pretty bad shape. Kidneys shut down, and she quit eating. Still had energy to go to the beach though. She was dog to the last. I know my ten year old pitbull is not far behind her. He gets ice cream, and steak bones now.

I had to put down my dog on Tuesday and was thinking this morning that I should make an urn. I have done some bowls but never any hollowing.

Any recommendations on a hollowing tool? I was thinking maybe the hunter hook tool would be good.

Jed, pets are family for sure and it's always hard loosing one.
    Brandon, sorry for the loss of your pet.
    I do all of my hollowing for Urns, Vases, Hollowforms etc on a homemade Jameson style captured system and use carbide cutters, radius for the initial hollowing then a round one for cleaning it up. All of them are end grain and most with the pith in the middle. The insides come out pretty smooth.
    Last edited by daryl moses; 04-19-2018 at 3:25 PM.