Thread: Small Change Bowls

Small Change Bowls

Greetings from the rabbit hole!

I've managed to get a couple little segmented bowls done. The wood is reclaimed 3/4" tongue and groove maple flooring, and some walnut bits. For the first one. (cutting board is the same maple)

This little guy measures a mere 5" across, and about 3" deep. I sanded through the grits to 600, and rubbed beeswax on it whilst spinning.

The second one is the same maple (literally have a truckload of this stuff), with bloodwood accents. Sanding was the same as the first, but the finish is shellac/linseed/alcohol mix.

Enjoy!

Jed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice job!!

Did you run through a planer, a jointer? I have a bunch of 3/4" thick oak & maple T&G cutoffs from 3 houses of flooring I've done. It's prefinished, and has the grooves on the back side, so just wondering how your procedure is done.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Mark, the flooring was a little problematic for me at first. I've surmised that the hard finish on the boards was dulling my planer blades, so I had to run the flooring through the tablesaw to remove the finish. Then, over to the planer to parallel both sides. After the pieces are planed with a flat surface, I joint one edge, rip to width, then start setting up the miter slide on my table saw. (Switch to 80T carbide) I found a neat spreadsheet that gives you length of segment to diameter of ring. Typically, it takes me a few runs through the saw to get the perfect angle. (wax paper in miter slot helps)
    Once I have enough rings, the glue and rubber bands come out. I sand the rings on a cheap 4x36 disc/belt combo, then start stacking.

Nice Jed, segmenting is spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by Jed Hefley View Post
    through the saw to get the perfect angle. (wax paper in miter slot helps)
    Dumb question from a relative newbie, what do you mean by “wax paper in the miter slot”? Are you using it to make sure the runner on your miter gauge runs tight in the slot? Using it as a shim to dial in the angle? Or something else?

That’s correct. It takes up the slop and lets the miter slide more precisely. The only reason I use the table saw is because my chopsaw is just way too loud. Even with muffs on. If I had a better miter saw, I’d rather use it over the tablesaw. Less messing around changing from ripping and mitering.