Thread: Texture toolpath that looks like weld beads

Texture toolpath that looks like weld beads

Anyone have any idea of a 2D toolpath and bit combination that could be run on single tool paths that would somewhat resemble or give the feel of a weld bead? We are running a series of plaques and were trying for a background texture that would resemble or give the impression of a weld bead. Im not looking for the convex shape of a weld bead but more the repetetive pattern of a professional bead. We run VCarve Pro and I have played around with a ton of texture tool paths and overlapping texture toolpaths using the texture gadget. I can get a fairly decent result with some jitter in it that does somewhat give the impression of a weld bead.

Ive been playing around with a texture tool path that has a very high frequency and a super short amplitude and then introducing some variation with the gadget.

I can get lost for hours with these texture toolpaths and could burn through miles of material running endless samples.

Thanks for any input.

Would an abrasive Cratex stick and an inline pattern that would look like engine turning work?

https://www.cratex.com/engine-turning-sticks
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Hmm Im not sure about that but it gives some ideas. Im getting closer with textured toolpaths but still trying. Thanks for the link though. That is definitely in my bookmarks for aluminum work.

Do you mean something like this? That is just a picture, but I am trying to get an idea of what you are looking for.

weld-beam.jpg

Well, if this is in wood, the cratex won't show up. I drew a picture of what I meant. You might take the crescent moon shape and using a v-carve point cut the moon shape and then move over and do it again. Won't be exactly like a weld bead, but I think folks would get the idea.

screen-capture.jpg
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600