Thread: suggestion on cutting notches

suggestion on cutting notches

Needing to recreate two beveled notches

Suggestions on the best way to cut these? Hoping there is a better way than with a hammer and chisel. I need to make several of these. The original creator has passed away and I was asked if I could make these

Any ideas and help is appreciated

thanks

Bobby
    IMG_5696.JPGIMG_5697.JPG

It's a little hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like you could do it with a dado blade (or a lot of passes with a regular blade) and a crosscut sled with a triangle fixed to the surface at 45 degrees. Does the angle need to be "bang on" or can it just be pretty close? It also depends on how long the pieces are (if they're 8 feet long it's going to be hard to do on a crosscut sled )

Band saw. if you need more accuracy rough it with a bandsaw first then tablesaw or shaper.
    Bill

thanks

the pieces are about 5 inches by 7 inches. It doesn't have to be perfect, just close. the notch just needs to be angled.

the two pieces go together and open and close

If these are loose pieces for which you have easy access to all; sides, then (as Bill says above) the band saw is the easiest answer. In your first photo. however, it looks attached to something - if you have to cut these "in situ" I'd suggest an oscillating tool like a dremel. These are slow and nasty, but the protruding flat blade will let you make those cuts without too much difficulty.

they are loose - starting as 1 x 6 boards approximately one has to have a beveled notch in the center and the second is basically the reverse. the first board with the center notch has been the one giving me the most trouble, maybe I am over thinking it.

thanks

If i'm looking at the pics correctly and the notch is 90 degrees to the face of the board--might be easier to make the notch then make the bevel. If so, then the notch is cut while the end of the board is square making it a little easier.
    earl

Maybe a radial arm saw would work well. make sure it is clamped down very well before cutting such a small piece.
    Bill

Back saw or dovetail saw, coping saw and a chisel. If you have a band saw you could use it instead.

It will be faster than making a jig for a few pieces...........Rod.

Blog Entries
    If you want to minimize hand tools I would tilt the bandsaw table and get it close. Clean up with a chisel or even a file or a stick with sandpaper glued to it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The depth of the cut looks within the reach of a router bit. So you may be able to construct a jig with an angled fence and toggle clamps that holds the workpiece at the appropriate angle where multiple passes with a router would give you the clean angled cut you show in the pictures. I'm picturing something like a mortising jig. The same idea could be done in reverse on a router table.

Cut a 45* angle on the short side of a 2x4 lengthwise, and then set the backside of the piece with the angle against the angled surface on the 2x4 while cutting on the band saw.

Cut a 45* angle on the short side of a 2x4 lengthwise, and then set the backside of the piece with the angle against the angled surface on the 2x4 while cutting on the band saw.
    +1 on this. Do the cross grain cuts first then swing into the long grain cuts.

I often make notches like this with my miter saw. Set an auxiliary fence so that the saw his your angle on the down stroke. Set the screw stop on the saw so that it stops when it hits that angle. Then nibble the notch out one leaf at a time.

thanks for all the suggestions, I will try several of them and see what works for me