Thread: Undermount drawer slides

Undermount drawer slides

Looks like the times are suggesting I move on to some undermount drawer slides. Looks like all the usual suspects are making them these days - Blum, Accuride, Grass. What are your experiences with each? Quality, support, ease of install, etc. Id love to hear before I buy and try so any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Don't forget Hettich's Quadros. They are what my local supplier stocks, so my go to. Every bit as good as Blums in my opinion. My only quibble with undermount is you loose some drawer depth.

Of the makes you mention I have used Blum and Grass. I found Blum to be a little smoother - I tried both on a mock-up for a project, so it was a one time try out, so I can't say that would be the case if I did the same test again.

The big cabinet shop next to me use Grass and are happy with them.

always used blums as I like their soft close. as with most slides a square box and properly sized square drawer are essential.

I use them exclusively even in situations where the concealed look is not a factor - like shop drawers. I realized the undermount slide supports the bottom of the drawer directly and carries the sides vs a side mount that carries load thru the sides to the bottom. An undermount drawer is much less dependent on having a good attachment joint between sides & bottom as it carries no load - the drawer sides can also be made of lighter materials or less structural joinery as they just keep stuff from falling off the bottom vs carrying a load.

We've used Blum, Salice, Grass, and were shipped some KV Muv's to try. I didnt care for the KV's at all. Im partial to Salice Futura's or Grass Dynapro's. I would like to try the Hettich Qudros but dont have any distribution so not much option for some samples.

The KV Muv's are pretty much billed as a budget undermount so some accommodation is to be expected. For the quantities we buy a buck or two isnt a deal maker or breaker so we opt for the higher end. I think in the hobby world you will find most will default to Blum.

CS Hardware carry Hettich Quadros. These used to be considerably less expensibe but pricing now seems to be in-line with Blum Tandems.

I used Salice Futuras on the kitchen I'd built for my house upstate. Very pleased with them so far, pricing is good too.
    https://www.westlunddistributing.com/a7555.html

Thanks for all the replies. I've been mostly curious about the grass slides. I'll get a pair to try out. Any one have experiences with their door hinges?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Hedges View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I've been mostly curious about the grass slides. I'll get a pair to try out. Any one have experiences with their door hinges?
    We ran the Tiamos (I think that was the name) that were a two speed clip on face frame hinge. I really liked the two speed option because with light smaller doors a lot of soft close hinges can be painfully slow for customers and you wind up trying to do goofy stuff like putting one soft close and one non-soft close on a door to speed up the close. On face frame jobs Im not a fan of the clip on because there isnt enough support there on the face frame for me (one screw) and we also run flush interiors which dont play well with the face frame hinges. The worst part about them is they leave a horrendous gap behind the door that I just cant stand. I like the door to sit flat against the face frame (we do a lot of face frame obviously). So we dont use them a lot.

But on the job we did they were perfect. The big ugly gap behind the door is normal here because people here are big box store cabinet people and dont really care about much other than what the stranger who is selling vacuums walking through the front door thinks of their cabinets from 40' away.