Thread: 50W CO2 laser uneven engrave and cut after a few years of operation

50W CO2 laser uneven engrave and cut after a few years of operation

Hello,

I have been using my Redsail M700 (500x700 work table, CO2 50W) since 2012. I have faced a few issues that I was able to resolve so far by myself or with a help of my friends.
    However, I run into a quite complex issue recently. I have done some troubleshooting already, but couldn't find the root cause. Therefore, I'm looking if someone has faced similar issue or knows what might be the root cause.

I was working on one project last Sunday, engraving/cutting plywood, everything went fine. However, yesterday, right after I powered the laser on and sent a new project in (engrave first, then cut, material plywood), I get following problem.

Engraving was uneven, fuzzy, as you can see on the following picture (engraving speed set to 500mm/s, 30% power = setting that I typically use for such engraving):

I stopped the job. Inspected mirrors - no loose found.
    I verified laser path was precisely adjusted, mirrors and lens clear.
    I verified all belts are tight.
    I run rectangle engrave and noticed (speed 500, power 30%, step 0,1mm). Engrave set to x_swing that I typically use every time - laser powers when moving from left to right and when going back from right to left. I noticed overlap on both sides as well as Y axis movement to be not exactly even. Then I changed x_swing to x_unilateral when it power lasers only when moving left to right. Please see output highlighted in by red rectangle on the picture below (the pict should be rotated by 90deg.):

I thought maybe there is debris on x-axis cart's wheels, so I carefully cleaned them as well as the furrows where they move. I did it also for y-axis wheels and furrows - no help.
    I made sure the wheels on the laser head and carts on both sides are tight right, lubricated them - no help.
    I played around for a few more hours. Was trying to engrave rectangles on left/right side of the work table. Lines parallel to x-axis, y-axis seemed to be OK, but the slat line had a problem. I observed some random shudder. I couldn't conclude what is causing this random behavior. I tried to power cycle the laser machine as well as the laptop - no help.
    I was playing around with movement speed of the laser head and laser tube power. Running it slow about 10mm/sec, faster (100mm/sec). Power depending on the speed from 8% (lowest value) up to 30% for the speeds above 100mm/sec.

Suddenly, I made a good result with a lover speed (20mm/sec). It did engrave perfect rectangle on the left side. Then I run rectangle engrave on right side - also perfect. So I tried a couple of more times - all went fine. Right after I successfully executed one 30min long plywood engrave/cut project and turned laser off.

Following picture is showing all these failures up to perfect rectangles by the end of my troubleshooting (the pict should be rotated by 90deg.):

Because of successful execution of the 30min engrave/cut project, I considered this issue to be a short interference somewhere. Issue that disappeared the same way it did appear
    However, today, it returned back in. I was cutting some circles/ellipses from a plywood with following result (the pict should be rotated by 90deg.):

Looking forward your help and advices.
    Thank you very much.

A few pictures of the laser's construction:

Last edited by martin sedlak; 04-18-2018 at 6:57 AM.

Lets see you have been using it for 6 years, perhaps you have worn parts that need replaced or a rebuild? Bearings, belts, motors and etc. The machine might need a check for loose connections.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Cut a 100mm x 100mm square

Measure the part that is cut out and post sizes

It seems that the steppers are losing steps, could be...

• Loose wire (Unlikely as they tend to make a horrible buzzing grinding in the motor when that happens)
    • Bad stepper motor
    • Bad stepper driver

Reverse the stepper drivers wires from X to Y etc then try again to rule out the driver
    You did what !

Problem was solved.

The lense in the head was loose, not properly tightened. Air pump connected to the head was blowing air in, shaking with the loose lense.

Thank you very much for all your advices.