Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBN Wheels

CBN Wheels

So, after considerable thought and reading, I was ready to pull the trigger on a CBN wheel (or 2). Not so quick! It turns out, I wanted a 1.5 inch wide wheel without radius corners. I would prefer a 5/8" bore rather than a bushing. And, I would like 180 grit to start.

I've apparently painted myself into a corner as this combination is not that popular and when I did find it, it was out of stock!

I guess I will have to wait a bit.

I have the slow speed grinder purchased from Woodcraft. Has anyone used the CBN wheel from Peachtree Woodworking with this grinder? Not sure who supplies the CBN wheels for Peachtree but from what I've read, as long as they are well balanced, CBN wheels don't differ much. Thoughts?

Did you check with Ken Rizza at https://woodturnerswonders.com/ I just got a 350 grit wheel with rounded edges from him. He has a huge variety of wheels is all grits and shapes.

I just bought a radius wheel from Ken. I have an old square edge with about 1/4" on the sides. If I was going to buy a square edge wheel I would get Ken's Mega Wheel.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I'm also going to recommend the wheels from Ken at Woodturnerswonders.com. Great service and great product!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I also recommend Ken and Woodturnerswonders.!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I’ve been using D-Way’s 1-1/2” cbn wheels - 80 and 180 grit - for well over 4 years now. Great wheels and a beefy hand hone that really stands up to frequent use. I tried a hone from another supplier that just doesn’t compare.
    I’m not an engineer, but it seems to me that not all cbn wheels are made to the same specs. Electroplating, grit consistency and wheel machining can vary from different suppliers. Saving a few bucks up front on a tool that will potentially last many years in typical turning use seems like false economy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Trice View Post
    So, after considerable thought and reading, I was ready to pull the trigger on a CBN wheel (or 2). Not so quick! It turns out, I wanted a 1.5 inch wide wheel without radius corners. I would prefer a 5/8" bore rather than a bushing. And, I would like 180 grit to start.

I've apparently painted myself into a corner as this combination is not that popular and when I did find it, it was out of stock!

I guess I will have to wait a bit.
    Ken Rizza will order any configuration and corner you want if it's not in stock. He ordered several of what I'm using and they didn't take long to get. I bought all mine from him without the radiused edges and with 1" of flat grit down each side.

JKJ

I'm done with my stone wheels vibrating and needing truing up, just ordered a set of wheels from Ken (80/220) and a bunch of other stuff, didn't realize he's just down the road from me, if I had time I'd try to drop by, maybe for the next order...
    Where did I put that?

Just used my new 350 wheel quite a bit today reshaping some tools for a friend. I was surprised how fast it removes metal. Of course it is brand new and they cut smoother and a little slower after a month or so of use. I think I'm really going to like this wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Price View Post
    I'm done with my stone wheels vibrating and needing truing up, just ordered a set of wheels from Ken ...
    You might want to keep the wheels around if you might need to grind some mild steel some day which I understand can load up a CBN wheel. I keep some AlOx wheels on some grinders for mild steel. Hardened tool steel, HSS, and the the newer powdered metal steels are no problem with CBN. I think Reed Grey said he once loaded up a CBN wheel with soft steel but it cleaned up OK by grinding a heavy HSS scraper.

Did you order a spherical washer set for each wheel? Those made my CBN wheels run true, even on a problem grinder.

JKJ

Good idea. I did get the washers as well
    Where did I put that?

Just got mine installed and sharpened a few gouges/skews... amazing. Wish I had done this a lot earlier. So much time spent on balancing/squaring/truing the old stone wheels...
    Where did I put that?

Lee Valley has just started selling them. Maybe not the cheapest, I haven't looked, but they have the 180 grit, 5/8" bore 1 1/2" width your looking for.

Opps, looks like they are out of stock except in some of the stores. Sorry.
    Last edited by Peter Christensen; 04-21-2018 at 4:18 PM.

I also bought two CBN wheels from Ken, a 180 and 350 grit. Very well pleased with the wheels , don't know why I didn't buy the sooner than later.