Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SawStop blade alignment at 45 degrees

Kudos to Trent for posting here. I'd be interested to know what the resolution of your issue is/was.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I'd be interested to know what the resolution of your issue is/was.
    I think I know what caused it to come out of alignment, and I think I know the fix, but I'm not going to get too excited until this is all fixed.

Gabor, I'm having the same problem and I'd be interested to know what the resolution of your issue is was also.

I'm sorry for not updating this thread for so long.

Thanks to Trent's great help, I managed to get this correctly aligned. I'll try to explain how we got to the bottom of this:

First of all, these saws are built like tanks and this kind of misalignment rarely happens, so we needed to figure out why it got to this state in the first place. I bought this saw a couple of years ago used (it was a steal, but that's a separate story...). The previous owner probably adjusted the riving knife clamp in a way that it was too far back and the rear riving knife clamp adjustment bolt was hitting the underside of the cast iron table, when the blade was tilted to 45. This caused it to shift things out of alignment when angling the blade to 45-degrees, because the bolt started to hit the table past 43 (or so) degrees, if I really cranked down on the tilt wheel. I could actually not see this happening because the insert plate was covering this all, and I only used the blade at 45 a couple of times in the past. Once I moved the riving knife a bit closer to the blade (maybe 1/8" or so) this problem went away.

So basically what happened as a result of this, was that the elevation plate has pushed "away" from the trunnion and the distance between the two in the back was greater than in the front. Once I figured this out, it was pretty straight forward to fix the problem. Basically, the V-bracket in the back connects the elevation plate to the trunnion, and since only the plate can be moved (or adjusted), I needed to push this closer to the trunnion. After loosening the 2 bolts at the open end of the V-bracket (at the trunnion side) I pushed the elevation plate side closer to it by tapping on it with a mallet, realigned the table again at 0-degrees, checked again at 45 and it was spot on at both positions.

By the way, I think the manual actually has it wrong because they tell you to tap the wrong side of the V-bracket. I sent a detailed explanation of why I think it's wrong to Trent at Sawstop, and they're looking into it.

Again, I could not have done this without the dedicated help of Trent Davis and want to thank him publicly here as well!

Last edited by Gabor Siklos; 05-17-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks for the update. Also nice of Trent to make several appearances here. It's somewhat rare to see manufacturers' techs on forums like this, and I can imagine why. Anyway, good job Trent!

It was great working with you, Gabor! I like to see these weird ones every now and then. Your saw definitely did its best to keep off the dull times.

Thanks for sharing your fix. I hope Trent will let us know if the manual on the V-bracket needs to be amended.

I have used four different SawStops (two ICSs and two PCSs) and none have had any alignment issues. The consistency in their quality (one as old as 14 years? (first gen.) is amazing. The only things that are not original in those saws are the blades.

Simon

This is awesome to read and thanks to Trent for taking the time to post here! Ive had nothing but a great experience with my 3HP PCS and SawStop's customer service!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!