Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What tools should I avoid--to avoid developing bad habits?

Avoid any tool which is advertised on late-night TV as being one that "every homeowner should have."
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

What not to buy to avoid bad habits:

Buy function over bling.
    Old tools will teach you tool maintenance- as long as they aren't too far gone to recover.
    Set yourself up a sharpening kit that works for as many of your tools as possible with the minimum number of parts. Get proficient with it and use it often.
    Avoid One size fits all, multipurpose gizmos.
    Think about your shop organization often and implement it continuously.

Avoid the stuff from Lie-Nielsen. Using it promotes the habit of buying more, which promotes using it more, which promotes the habit of buying more, etc. It's a slippery slope (but a fun slope).
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    I think the biggest thing that will help avoid bad habits is to learn to do things "right" from the get go. It is far more difficult to unlearn a bad habit or ineffective method than it is to learn how to do a thing right in the first place.
    It may be difficult to unlearn a bad habit, ask anyone who has stopped using tobacco, yet learning a new 'trick' can dispose of inferior techniques.

A fear of doing something wrong may compel some in to never starting.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Avoid the stuff from Lie-Nielsen. Using it promotes the habit of buying more, which promotes using it more, which promotes the habit of buying more, etc. It's a slippery slope (but a fun slope).
    In my not so long experience, it becomes less slippery and less sloppy after first $5000 spent... and then after next $5000 you come to a point where you have to wait for a new interesting model to be released to spend any at all. In my case it went for Veritas, but the same concept applies. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I know (also from a recent thread) that I should master sawing and edge jointing sooner than later... but saw guides and jointing by shooting with bench plane lying on its side on my bench is so convenient and gives consistently so excellent results that I feel like I'm addicted to them.

I would avoid power tools at first. Hand tools give better connection with the wood and understanding what it likes and not. I mean power tools with cutting edge. Lathe or cordless drill is fine.
    Last edited by Andrey Kharitonkin; 04-18-2018 at 7:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    I know (also from a recent thread) that I should master sawing and edge jointing sooner than later... but saw guides and jointing by shooting with bench plane lying on its side on my bench is so convenient and gives consistently so excellent results that I feel like I'm addicted to them.
    The best saw guide is your hands and eyes, they just need training.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

7. Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Probably not what you expected, but one tool to avoid is Credit Card debt. Its fine to use plastic for tool purchases if you can pay off the balance at the end of the month, but if you can't, then keep the credit card in your wallet and save up until you can truly afford the tool.
    This ^^^^^^^^
    I completely agree, and tools are not only thing this applies to.
    Save up the money before making the purchase, you may find that you don't really want/need the gizmo as much as you thought after you have the $$$ in your hand.

This is a broad question. Instead of blacklisting a particular tool or jig in your head, I advise a more general philosophy:

Avoid purchases that discourage long-term skill development. This is especially true of jigs. Many offer short term benefit only to prevent long term muscle memory that can actually make you more efficient and flexible in the long term.

Respect historical designs, and take time to understand and use them in the way they were intended, but don't dismiss new variations that offer improvements in material or ergonomics. Our forefathers are experienced, but had limited technology.

This is a little off from your posts question, but may still apply.
    Whenever you see something that is supposed to help you do something better, or quicker: instead of buying it, make it yourself.
    There are no tools that are bad for everyone. We are all different in many ways. But self reliance is the key to becoming a true craftsman.

Blog Entries
    Save up the money before making the purchase, you may find that you don't really want/need the gizmo as much as you thought after you have the $$$ in your hand.
    A few years ago when money was a bit tighter, my way of saving was to purchase old tools and rehabilitate them and set them on a shelf. Many were bought at prices low enough to sell them on ebay for a profit. When the tool bank was full enough to purchase my heart's desire, they would all be listed to raise the money.

Now as our financial situation is better this isn't as necessary to raise money for desired purchases.

What Charlie says above applies to one item that has been on my wish list for a while, a pattern makers vise. Now that it is within my ability to splurge on such it makes me wonder if it is really needed. Would it help me do anything better than what can be done with what is already at my disposal? Would it lead me to new endeavors?

Even though it could be ordered today, my thoughts are cause for hesitation, wondering if it is something that would be used or a purchase that would go down as a gutter ball on the lane of regret.

jtk

Don't buy tools or anything for that matter that doesn't fit your work or lifestyle. Don't buy a doweling jig to use once or a crock pot if you don't cook with one. I would suggest some thoughts like this, if you saw good straight and plumb and own a shooting board you may not use a miter box. If you saw lots of picture frames then a miter box may be what you need. Sometimes it is worth it to buy a tool to use for one big project like building a work bench. Don't put it on the shelf never to use it again, sell it. There are some tools I just rent for one job. If you buy power tools use them once and then try to sell three years later there will be new models and in most cases yours will be worth less. I think it would be okay to own something like a dovetail jig if you only cut them every 6 months but if your doing them every week learn how to saw to the line.
    Jim

This thread has totally morphed into something different than I envisioned....and I like it. ;P

It'd definitely interesting to see the thoughts here.
    I will add a few caveats:

1. For some specialized jigs/vises, I try to calculate how much time will go into making it vs the cost of my time.
    For instance, I'll be inlaying about 5 rosettes in the near period. I needed a rosette/circle cutter. While I could probably make some (and I spent a few years designing it) or a popsicle stick and scalpel, I found a guy on etsy that makes something that I'd consider pretty much ideal (and far nicer than I'd ever make)...like jewelry.
    I've been looking into buying a patternmaker vise...then looked at the price of StewMac's vise...and the cost of what I'd want to use (Ebony, cocobolo, cast iron handwheels, acme screws, etc). I'll probably buy it.

2. For ply wood, I think that a good tablesaw/tracksaw are very helpfful. Same for a router.
    I'd feel bad to use a nice Disston or a handmade Japanese saw on MDF.

My advice is to learn to gauge rather than measure. Gauging is much more precise and accurate than pencil lines. YMWV & JMO

Wanted, but not needed. New stuff before you've wrung the juice out of the old stuff. Collecting, versus using.

Blog Entries
    Another thought, beware of buying a tool you are already considering upgrading.

One more, unless you know you can get parts beware of buying a tool missing parts.

jtk