Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What tools should I avoid--to avoid developing bad habits?

What tools should I avoid--to avoid developing bad habits?

After a few years of reading threads, it seems like there's some tools that the old timers recommend against (except for very specialized circumstances, like having parkinson's or motor control issues):
    - dovetail guides
    - jointer plane perpendicular fence.

I'm pretty sure there's others...

Do you guys still feel that way? Are there other tools that I should avoid, so that I can develop proper technique?

-Matt

ps. FWIW, I'm making some Barron dovetail guides. The wood has sat in my workshop for about 6 years, and I figure that it'd make a nice present...if nothing else, really good dovetail markers.

Tools to avoid -No such thing!
    There are different ways of doing things, and thats what makes this hobby interesting.
    The only things to avoid involve issues of safety - wear eye protection, use splitters and push sticks, etc.
    beyond that - have fun! try different things, find what works for YOU.

and times change, I have more dovetail markers than I care to admit, but once I became comfortable cutting dovetails, I no longer use any of them. Like Frank Klaus, I eyball em. Just one example.

Quit worrying about what others might think and make something, then you can speak with authority having been there and done that.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

3. avoid sharpening with waterstones. that way lies madness.

......slinks off to watch the mayhem.....

Ha!

I was going to say sharpening guides--but then, I use them. For smaller chisels, the Kell guide is pretty useful. For serious reprofiling of a plane blade, I use an eclipse guide (like for new Mujingfang blades).

However, I see merit in sharpening by hand mostly...especially if you're working with nice Japanese tools. The soft steel backing and large primary bevel make it a dream to sharpen.

I would be cautious with regard to what the old timers say. They have gone through a learning curve and likely don't remember things from that learning path all that well. They can spout off about "the right way ", but they don't remember what they forgot, and those forgotten things are exactly what you need to learn.

Avoid using a Kreg pocket hole jig if you ever expect to learn real joinery.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

matt:

Mike is right. Use what works for you at the time. I'm an old timer and I still use both of the examples you mentioned. Jigs and guides and fences may often be the key to excellent work. And, they are actually as much training wheels as crutches, if you get my metaphor.

Bridger -- put on your raincoat

Pat --I beg your pardon? I remember my learning curve very well -- what were we talking about?

Andy -- you found an exception (IMO) to Mike's Rule. But even then, maybe, once in a while.

Doug

Blog Entries
    Everything to follow is nothing more than my opinion.

Avoid having every different brand of plane there is. All but a very few of my planes are Stanley/Bailey models. The parts are mostly interchangeable.

Avoid some of the lesser off brand planes like Shelton or some of the others with a stamped frog.

Of course if one is using Japanese style planes that is a whole different story.

This also leads me to purchase tools well known from vendors like Lie-Nielsen, Lee Valley and others instead of anonymous sources on Amazon. If you lose a screw from an LV or LN product you are not likely going to have a problem getting a replacement. Someone selling things imported from Bangladesh might have trouble getting you a replacement, especially if they disappear when their supply is all sold.

There are some good brands that were actually made by quality makers, but some of them only have a similar shape to a working tool.

Avoid tools you haven't researched. There is nothing like getting Combination Plane Fever for a Stanley #45 on ebay to only find out it is missing a critical part that isn't available.

To me some of my favorite posts are others asking about a particular tool or even a tool maker. Some of those posts have given me the confidence to purchase from people like Ron Bontz. The satisfaction people have expressed with the Gramercy Saw Vise helped me decide to order one to replace my other saw vises that leave a bit to be desired. It hasn't been set up yet.

So on that my advice might be to spring for the Gramercy Saw Vise if you can or do not purchase a saw vise you can not inspect to make sure the saw is held securely.

If there is a voice in your head saying, "this isn't what you really want" and another voice saying, "it will do for now." Listen to the one that says, "it isn't what you want". Buyers remorse is not a healthy nor a satisfying feeling.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think the biggest thing that will help avoid bad habits is to learn to do things "right" from the get go. It is far more difficult to unlearn a bad habit or ineffective method than it is to learn how to do a thing right in the first place.

As such - I don't think a tool or a jig is the culprit....

The only specific tool suggestion is: Don't use dull tools... Sharpen them up and maintain the correct geometry... Sharp fixes most things....

My first thought is that you should avoid all tools. First you start out with a plane or two. Then before you know it you have 50. Then it is on to saws and hammers. Before long, you look for ways to sneak out to swap meets, browse auction sites late at night when everyone is asleep, and start hiding the extra tools you acquire in places no one will think to look. It is indeed a slippery slope.

Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post

Are there other tools that I should avoid, so that I can develop proper technique?
    Yes. Avoid anything that's capable of connecting to the Internet. Then you'll be fine.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Probably not what you expected, but one tool to avoid is Credit Card debt. Its fine to use plastic for tool purchases if you can pay off the balance at the end of the month, but if you can't, then keep the credit card in your wallet and save up until you can truly afford the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    avoid sharpening with waterstones. That way lies madness.
    The archduke has been shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    Yes. Avoid anything that's capable of connecting to the Internet. Then you'll be fine.
    I think to think of it as "The Internet of Things That Should Not Be On The Internet"

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hepler View Post

Bridger -- put on your raincoat

Doug

Bulletproof, fireproof, rustproof raincoat......