Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camaster Panther Ordered

Thanks guys. The DC actually sits under the stairs to attic which is accessed by that door (see below for better view). The main access to shop is door on right, and I need to keep walkway clear to door on opposite side. The CNC machine is "roughly" drawn to overall dimensions on Camaster site. I think the table is sized a bit too large in this pic, as the gantry overhangs and the lathe likely account for the overall dims published. Would be nice to have an accurate dwg of the machine. Brad, program is just Sketch-up.
    shop2.jpg

I made some progress with drywall and reframing.
    2018-04-02 18.52.45.jpg

The "home" after drywall, mud/tape, and paint.
    2018-04-15 17.42.08.jpg
    Last edited by Dan Schmidt; 04-21-2018 at 10:00 AM.

If you rotate the CNC so that it's left side (with you standing in the front of it) butts up to the door frame, the gantry overhang on that side shouldn't be too bad relative to access to the attic space and will leave you plenty of room to access the Recoil on the right side. That will then give you three side access. What is the distance between the door frame and the wall at the corner to the right of the door...the space where the CNC will go? I was originally going to place my Stinger II (same relative size as the Panther 4x4 you're buying) in a corner similar to that but flipped opposite, but after some thought and rearrangement was able to set it up for three size access and I'm really glad I did. That said, there's nothing wrong with the arrangement you propose other than the greater difficulty of performing required periodic maintenance on the left side of the machine.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-21-2018 at 10:57 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, not bad - I think I like it! I have about 8" more along that wall, and the hinge direction on that door helps too. Good news is that I have a few options, and I'll need to play with it once it arrives to get the real feel of it. Center of the machine would not change much either way, so my electrical, vacuum, and air prep will work for both options.
    shop3.jpg

My spindle requires a 220V 40A circuit (with neutral), and the cyclone vacuum pump requires a 220v 30A using a NEMA L6-30P plug (no neutral). For the spindle connection, I decided to use a NEMA 14-50R receptacle, and the corresponding cord to the machine. I intentionally installed the receptacle upside down so the right-angle cord will hang naturally. Both outlets were a straight shot up the wall, across the attic, and down to the 200A service panel. I already have one 110 outlet on each wall of this corner area for the computer. These 2 outlets alone on their circuit. In the corner I installed a low voltage box and ran a CAT6 ethernet connection to my network switch.
    2018-04-19 18.49.16.jpg2018-04-19 18.49.24.jpg61cDj2LggZL._SL1280_.jpg

With electrical done (whew!), I spent yesterday installing a DriCore subfloor. I really love this floor option (I have it throughout my main shop) as it is great on your feet, provides a soft landing for dropped tools/bits, and is easy to clean. Yes, plenty strong enough to handle the weight.
    shop4.jpgdricore.jpg
    Last edited by Dan Schmidt; 04-22-2018 at 8:03 PM.

I think that you'll like that orientation better, Dan, and the maintenance will be a lot easier, too, as I previously mentioned. Nice idea on the floor...are you going to leave it "natural" or paint it? BTW, don't forget you need an air drop for the counterbalance...it doesn't use any kind of volume and merely uses pressure to take load off the Z-axis motor(s) when raising the spindle.
    --

I'll just put 2 coats of flooring poly on and leave it natural. For a shop I think it looks fine, but I've found the only downside is that when you drop a small screw it becomes a "where's Waldo" game.....

Yes, after the floor I need to reinstall the trim boards and tackle compressed air and DC ducting. I'll probably include a tee for "blowable" compressed air, and a DC drop for floor mounted sweep. Where on your machine is the pneumatic input/regulator?

On my Stinger II, the air input/regulator is just behind the front-left leg, facing the machine. You can easily make a custom length hose once your machine is placed that matches up with however things are oriented on your Panther. I presume it will be similar, but don't know for sure since I didn't investigate that next step up. You are also supposed to supply a drier/moisture filter before the machine, so keep that in your plans. And you absolutely want/need an air port for blowing things off. I've discovered that I need that in a more convenient location than it is now and will adjust things at first opportunity.
    --

Prep work complete. More work than I originally planned, but since machine is on order and I had the time, why not. In this picture you can see the completed room, with the machine placement planned for the back right corner. The back wall had an additional pocket door that I removed and closed off. 220V electrical for spindle and vacuum have the metal outlet covers on right wall. Wood (DriCore) floors and french cleats like the rest of my shop. Routed additional compressed air with 2 drops as well as an overhead (RoboReel) cord reel.
    2018-05-30 20.26.23.jpg

Looking up.... dust collection
    2018-05-30 20.28.39.jpg

Opposite corner / shop entry door with new floor sweep.
    2018-05-30 20.27.29.jpg

It'll never look this good again so I might as well document. Can't wait to get this room dirty. All it needs now is.....um....oh, yes....a machine.

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

All you picture needs is the big splash of yellow. Room looking good.

Awesome job on the prep. Now you just need a machine so you can deposit some chips and dust on the shiny floor.

Awesome prep job!! One suggestion...put up a few "soft panels" to absorb a little of the high-frequency sound that will come off the cutters. A spindle has a very low sound level, but the cutters still make noise. The ceiling I installed in my shop made a HUGE difference in sound from all my machines, but especially those that "route".

Hit your local ReStore and see if there are any drop-ceiling panels there for cheap. You can just stick a few of those up naked or even put a little wood frame around them if you are anal like I am.
    --

My lord. You guys make me so miserable working in my shop. A CNC in basically a finished bedroom? I would live/sleep/bathe in that space. Really? Lol... so wild. So so very wild.

Thanks all. Jim, thanks for the tip on high freq sound. I'll give it a whirl as is and get a feel for how loud/annoying the noise is. Good to know that some simple panels can make a good difference.

Mark, lol - too funny. While it's a merely a drywalled garage with a subfloor, I'd be happy to let you live there and charge you rent to pay off my Panther. (as long as you promise not to bathe in it) :-)

Looks like a great spot!