Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camaster Panther Ordered

Camaster Panther Ordered

Well I finally did it. After much research I finally placed my CNC order with Camaster. I ordered:
    • PT404 Panther CNC
    • 3 kW spindle
    • Phenolic top w/ Incra t-slot system
    • Cyclone Vacuum System
    • Indexing lathe
    • FTC
    • Laser
    • Pneumatic balance assist
    • Remote keypad / maintenance package

It should now be a painful wait, but I have much work to do to prep an area in my shop where this yellow beast will call home.

Dan

Wow! That is a great machine!
    Congrats
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Ditto! Can't wait to see it and to see what you make with it.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Congratulations!!! Just got my first quote for a panther too, probably won't be pulling the trigger anytime soon, but it looks like an amazing machine! I didn't see the Cyclone on the options sheet i received, just the Hurricane. I will have to check with them, the Cyclone looks enough for a 4 x 4 table.

Did they say what the current build times were?
    Voccell DLS 50 watt (G Weike Storm 600 rebrand basically)
    CW-5000 Chiller
    Shapeoko 3 XL CNC

Wow...congrats! That's going to be an awesome machine and it looks like you optioned it out fully!

The wait is...painful. But it does come to an end, and will be forgotten.

Make sure you get the prep guide from Camaster for that machine so you have it available as you get things prepared for electrical, air, etc. I believe that for the 3 kW spindle, you'll need a 40 amp four wire circuit plus a 120v circuit for your control computer off to the side. My setup mirrors that, but my spindle only required 30 amps. The Cyclone vacuum setup isn't listed in my Stinger II prep guide (it's a new model), so that's something else you'll need the correct information for. You'll want a DC port situated such that you can easily provide an overhead drop to the machine as well as the Kent dust shoe that supports a 4" drop. (The OEM hood has a much smaller port)

Edit...the Cyclone requires 30amp 240v per the specifications:

https://blackboxvac.com/cyclone.html
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Welcome to all of our new CNC Owner/Operators.

Dan, you did good my friend. I predict you will not be watching any television for a long time to come

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Welcome to all of our new CNC Owner/Operators.

Dan, you did good my friend. I predict you will not be watching any television for a long time to come
    Just a lot of YouTube. LOL
    --

I live in Augusta, GA area which is a huge golf capital, and it seems everyone drives around in golf cars. When I built my shop I reserved a ~2/3 garage bay for my golf car, but now it will need to find another home. My CNC will invade this space as you can see in the lower left. Sorry Club Car, you're a beauty but you will sit outside for now....

shop1.jpg

Unfortunately, the previous layout of this corner had a pocket door entrance to the bathroom as you can see below. I decided to remove the door and punch a new door access on the other side of the bathroom. This pic shows the new bathroom door on the far side, and the wide opening (pocket door removed) which I now need to stud/drywall. This will give me a nice corner to situate the CNC.
    2018-03-24 18.52.49.jpg

Nice layout. Remember that you will need occasional access to both sides of the machine to lube the Y axis Hiwin bearings.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Dan, you may want to locate the Panther so you have access to the front and both sides for easier material handling... But yea, having a "dedicated" CNC room is kewel beans!
    --

This is a huge compromise. Unfortunately I planned this little bay horribly. It has too many doors: the main shop man-door to right, access to wood shop on left, door to attic on top, and overhead door on bottom. Then of course I had the pocket door to the bathroom. There simply is not enough wall space nor walking access to put the CNC anywhere else, and my main shop is just jammed packed.

As it's just half sheets I'm hoping I'll have adequate access from 2 sides. Anyone have a similar layout, and will I eat those words? Good point about maintenance though; I should be able to leave 24" or so from the top wall.

Brad, Camaster verbally said 8 weeks (they were non-committal) for build time. From Jim and others it seems it may actually be a bit longer lately.
    Last edited by Dan Schmidt; 04-19-2018 at 9:38 PM.

What program did you use for that layout?
    Voccell DLS 50 watt (G Weike Storm 600 rebrand basically)
    CW-5000 Chiller
    Shapeoko 3 XL CNC

You could consider putting it in the middle of the space if that sketch is accurate dimensionally...

Lead times do appear to be about what they say or slightly longer. They are building machines like mad...
    --

I would move door going into dust collector area to different area then could set cnc in middle of wall and have access from front and both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    I would move door going into dust collector area to different area then could set cnc in middle of wall and have access from front and both sides.
    That's actually a really good idea...
    --