Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Delicacy From The Woods

Sure. I warn you the police watch for folks picking the "magic" ones. And apparently smoking Aaron's rod to get high is legal in PA. However Sassafrass oil from thee roots is a controlled substance.

I'm not interested in the hypnotic mushrooms. If you're gonna trip, do it right.
    Never even heard of Aarons Rod, but that doesn't sound like something I would want to try anyway
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I love morels. I have hunted them since I was about age 6 or 7. That being said, do yourself a favor and learn to recognize the difference between morels and false morels. The difference can be deadly!
    I agree, Ken. False morels look nothing like real morels - morels are very distinctive. Once you learn the difference, you won't ever make that mistake. I've been hunting them for a few years as well and they are a real joy to find and eat in the Spring. Gotta get out there before the bugs and bramble bushes bloom!

TedP

Waiting on a decent rainfall and I'll be back out there! I soak em in some cool water for about 15 minutes, no bugs were in it, but still glad I took that extra step!
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Mr. Lippman, maybe in your neck of the woods. One of my college professors was a life long shroomer and natural food gatherer. He wrote books about gleaning nature's bounty before Euel Gibbons became famous and The prof and his wife died from a bad shroom about 1970. My father was told that any fungus/mushroom that grows on a living tree was safe. BUT there is one dangerous exception in this area. I have amanita muscaria growing on one end of the property and every 4 or 5 years the cops nail somebody for picking them. Some folks have been well schooled and go along shrooming just fine. I can think of around ten different mushrooms/fungus here on the farm. It isn't hard to tell a sheeps head from other things and I have a neighbor who will only pick those. I also have caught folks picking aaron's rod. When i asked the one what he did with it, he just replied "smoke it" He even offered to pay me for the picking rights. I have seen him take at least 100 pounds of the stuff at one time. I'll stick to the berries I can recognize.
    I second Mr Lippman on the safety of morel's. People around my neck of the woods have hunted them for far longer than I have been around and I don't know of a single fatality. I'm now 60 plus. Yes there are mushrooms that can be very bad for you. But if you stick with morel's you will never go wrong. The characteristics of the real thing are distinct. I did google it out of curiosity and the "false morel" doesn't really look like the real thing. One thing it did say was the level of toxins can vary from one region to another. I will continue to enjoy the real thing without hesitation. Usually by this time they are finding them but it's been far to cold and nothing is growing yet. Hopefully by the end of the month.

The few Morels I find on our property grow next to pine trees.....for Mi., I'm to far south to be in the prime area.

Ed

I was speaking of mushrooms and fungus in general. I know sheeps heads, easy to tell from other fungus, But there are lots of other tastier items out there. Of the mushroom/toadstools, I would not know a death angel from a fairy ring. We get some stinkhorns too. I don't know if we get morels here, never saw one that resembles the pictures. I still don't eat them. If I want mushrooms, I stop at the mushroom houses over near reading PA and get them fresh from the "cave" They have 4 or 5 different varieties.