Thread: Table saw dust collection drop

Table saw dust collection drop

I am in the process of setting up a central dust collection system in my shop. I am having trouble deciding where to drop the dust collection line to my table saw. My saw sits in the middle of the shop, so I do not have a wall to run the pipe down. Ideally I would like to run the drop down the left side of the table saw, but doing that will add a lot more duct and bends. To make it simple I thought about running the drop down the back right side of the saw (this is closer to my dust port on the rear of the saw). Has anyone done something similar? If so has the duct drop been in the way when you cut larger sheet stock? I have attached a picture of my shop & the proposed dust collection piping. Please let me know if you have any advise or suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If I understand the orientation of your saw from the photo combined with the diagram, putting the drop where you propose is going to interfere with common material handling. When you are standing in front of your saw facing the blade like you's be using it, the most common drop location is going to be to "your right" somewhere at the end of the right-side extension table. In your photos, that should be to the left of the outfeed table as shown. I think you are showing it on the opposite (left side as you face the blade) which isn't ideal based on the way folks generally use table saws. If I'm misinterpreting your photo and diagram, I apologize.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have mine ran down the back right side of the extension table, at the end. It works fine for most jobs. Occasionally I have to take it loose for large panel crosscuts. I have a connection just above the table where I can disconnect the flexible hose from the hard pipe.
    Charlie Jones

Your drip should be to the right side of the extension table, as Jim says, it will limit the material you cab run through the saw if it is else where.

If you are already running a drop I would at least run a smaller line down right over the blade to add topside suction
    to the guard setup. No ideas on a bigger line to the base.
    Bil lD.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-21-2018 at 8:29 PM.

Mine goes to the right of the saw, left side would interfere with crosscuts and in my shop at least, just be in the way a lot.

7. 20161010_070716.jpg

Like everyone suggests, I ran mine down the right hand side. I also ran a Y-junction with a 4" hose to an overhead port, which I strongly recommend. The right hand side placement allows infinite length stock to the left for crosscuts and the 36" max fence length to the right. I crosscut full sheets using a tracksaw when required (hardly ever as I tend to not use plywood and mdf much).

Cheers, Dom

turn the saw around that would line up the line with your plainer