Thread: Bookcase On Carpet Questions...

Bookcase On Carpet Questions...

I'm sure this is pretty 101 for most, but I've just never done large bookcases before. I'm going to build some 7ft tall bookcases in the shop/garage and assemble them in place. The room they're going in is carpeted. Should I just set the on top of the carpet or what? Oh..three cases, one at 90* to the other two, in a corner. They will be joined and trimmed out, like built-ins, I guess. Thanks for the help!

The only thing to watch for is if the carpet has a tack rail at the wall you may have to shim the front legs to keep it somewhat level after the weight sinks it into the carpet at the front. Even if it's attached to the wall if it's sitting up on a 1/4 " tack rail at the rear it will rack with only carpet at the front.
    Jim

That's right...forgot about the tack rail!

If they are intended to be built-in and "permanent", then remove the carpet under them and re-tack the edge flush with the unit(s). If they are bookcases that can and likely would be moved in the future, set them on the carpet and shim as noted to compensate for the tack strip.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If they are to be permanent in a carpeted room you might want to build them to sit on platform that will keep the bottom rail off the floor approx 1/4" so the carpet guys can tuck the edge of the carpet under the front rail. They will appreciate that. I did this when I build some closet organizers for our bedroom closets.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

For example, if you have 1 x 6 baseboard, you can beef up the nailing into studs and use the baseboard as a supporting ledger and screw casework to the wall. Voila, a floating bookshelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Nair View Post
    For example, if you have 1 x 6 baseboard, you can beef up the nailing into studs and use the baseboard as a supporting ledger and screw casework to the wall. Voila, a floating bookshelf.
    50 / 50 odds the base board was lifted up 1/2" off floor to allow for carpet to tuck under it, behind tack strip. If the book cases are ever removed, and rested on carpet, then carpet will need to be replaced, as the backing will have stretched where book cases sat.

In one sense it's crush the carpet, cut the carpet or leave be and avoid the carpet. Shimming under the baseboard would be an effective aid in supporting a ledger but all that is moot detail until the whole scope is known.

There are various shaped spiked carpet protector pads that could be used. Just add some supporting to the up-and-underneath for the pads so that the base will be just-down to the carpet.

some 7ft tall bookcases in the shop/garage and
    Don't forget the safety factor. Use hardware to secure the tops to the wall.

Simon
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-17-2018 at 10:07 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Blog Entries
    I have three attached and loaded 7' bookcases in my wife's knitting room (retired librarian). Wishing I would have removed the carpet before sitting them in place. Been like that 15 years. Would have been much easier to change out the carpet. But now it will get replaced with hardwood, so they would have to come out anyway.
    NOW you tell me...

We had bookcases permanently installed in the basement on top of carpeting, and then, after a minor flood (carpet soaked, but no serious damage to the bookcases), I had to pull the carpet out from under the bookcases. Horribly difficult job. So, don't do this if you think the the carpet might get wet.

Blog Entries
    We had floor to ceiling bookcases n our family room that were installed over carpet, they were built in place bookcases. Since the book cases were attached to the wall, there were no settling issues. When we changed the carpet, they simply cut along the base of the bookshelves, put down new tack strips and the original carpet stayed under the bookcases.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute