Thread: Jessem 8350 doweling kit

Jessem 8350 doweling kit

I have used dowels for joinery very few times over the years but recently have kind of be interested in purchasing on of these Jessem units. Probably the desire is mostly for a new shop toy. But most of the threads I have read about these seem to be several years old (2010-2014). I guess these have fallen out of favor with the more recent interest in the Domino units on the market. In the older threads the only complaint that I see about the Jessem units is they are shipped with poor quality bits and stop collars. Was wondering if anyone has purchased one of these kits recently and thoughts on quality?

Hi,
    I think you should search the forum again. Many here, myself included have the Jessem 08350 doweling jig. It has been discussed a lot. I think it is a superb product and the bits, stop collars and indexing pins that came with it are all excellent. The machining is very good. I have used mine extensively, including multiple rows of dowels in a staggered pattern like they demonstrate in the video. One clever thing about the Jessem design is the ability to change the fence setback position without unclamping the jig. The only time I have ever had my dowels not line up absolutely perfectly is when I did not take enough care with positioning.

Again, this jig has been commented on extensively and the only criticism I have ever read is from people who don't have one and are speculating about why they think their Domino is better or theorizing that dowels are not good because they've seen dowel joints fail in factory produced furniture. The reason dowels often fail in factory produced furniture is because a machine is squirting a shot of glue into a drilled hole and then inserting the dowel and assembling the joint. This results in a dowel that is basically dry with a bit of glue at the very tip of it where it is bottoming out in the hole where the glue is. In order for a dowel joint to be strong, both the inside of the hole and the dowel itself need to be coated in glue IMO.

Edwin

I like mine a lot. Here is a thread on it. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....0Jig&styleid=4 I have some cable reals I made in it with a link. Time sure fly's that was 5 years ago. I did buy the master kit, so I had all 3 sizes. Dan

I have one and it is great, far better than biscuits. Biscuits have there place like on narrow face frame but dowels are are far superior for alignment.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    I have that one and I really like it. I plan on using it on my next project, a blanket chest for my daughter.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I have both versions that Jessem sells and have used both extensively. Both are very well made and everything is very precise and no issues.
    For 3/8" dowels I choose to use the V-drill bit which is about .002" thicker than 3/8" as I find the 3/8" bit too tight for dry fitting the dowels.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    I have both versions that Jessem sells and have used both extensively. Both are very well made and everything is very precise and no issues.
    For 3/8" dowels I choose to use the V-drill bit which is about .002" thicker than 3/8" as I find the 3/8" bit too tight for dry fitting the dowels.
    Hi,
    Would you mind elaborating on this? What is this V-drill bit you're referencing? Does it work properly with the hardened bushings in the Jessem jig?

Like you, I sometimes find the dowels a little snug. I always thought this was good for the strength of the joint but one of the nice things about dowel joinery is the ability to dry assemble and disassemble the piece before you choose to glue up. Tight dowels can make this difficult.
    Thanks
    Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Hi,
    Would you mind elaborating on this? What is this V-drill bit you're referencing? Does it work properly with the hardened bushings in the Jessem jig?

Like you, I sometimes find the dowels a little snug. I always thought this was good for the strength of the joint but one of the nice things about dowel joinery is the ability to dry assemble and disassemble the piece before you choose to glue up. Tight dowels can make this difficult.
    Thanks
    Edwin
    mreza,
    I guess you learn something new ever day. Google helped me answer my own question. I was aware of number, fraction and millimeter gauges for drills, but not letters. Do you also use the C bit to achieve a hole .002 oversize for 1/4" dowels? And I assume there is no conflict with these slightly larger drills and the jig bushings.
    Edwin

I rarely use 1/4" dowels. For the bushing and V-drill bit, I took a 1/4" dowel and wrapped a fine sand paper and did a few strokes down the bushing in a rotating pattern (trying to take equal parts all around). It works fine.
    BTW I think you can get 9.6mm bushings as well (maybe Jessem sells them as I think initially supplied/sold the jig with 9.6mm bushing and bit but then changed over to 3/8".

I have one that is about 3 years old that has only been used a handful of times. I purchased a domino and no longer use it. I would be willing to make you a deal on it if you are interested.

Brad, I sent you a PM.