Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How does Advertising and Promotion Influence You?

So there I was, sitting on my boat at the dock. The wife and a few ladies from nearby boats were sitting around having drinks and chatting about a certain adult toy. All of the ladies decided I should place an Amazon order on their behalf, as most of them didn't use it and/or didn't have Amazon Prime. Imagine my Amazon recommendations after order a bunch of those...

Also, the conversations next weekend were interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Mueller View Post
    That, good sir, entirely depends on the platform of the add. Typically, if any company very blatantly takes a political stance, I refuse to buy their product.
    Hence why Wal-Mart and Bass Pro will never get my business again if I can help it.
    Now i need to know what political stance these companies take. Also, why it matters

I am a contributor and could disable the ads. I also have an ad blocker for my browser that is highly effective. I don't do that for a couple of reasons. First of all, I think some of the links lead to information about products in which I am interested. Secondly, I have read that SMC gets some financial benefit from the ads, especially if I buy something through a link from the forums.

I will answer Pat Barry's question of why it matters whether I trade with companies whose views differ from my own. In this day and time, money is influence. I don't want to contribute to the profits of a business that uses them to promote ideas and policies with which I disagree. If everyone had the same attitude as Chase and myself, companies which promote things a majority thinks are bad would wither. That is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pirollo View Post
    This makes me think. We can log in to our wife's computer and search for a fancy tool we are interested in buying. Then wife gets bombarded with the ads and this plants a seed. A good idea just before Christmas or a birthday... lol

Norman
    unfortunately my friend - "Our side" is not nearly as saavy when it comes to advertising and product placement.... You go searching for Lee Valley planes and Barr chisels on her computer and she is likely to be inundated with ads for industrial pressure washers, log splitters, and Imported tractors....

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I am a contributor and could disable the ads. I also have an ad blocker for my browser that is highly effective. I don't do that for a couple of reasons. First of all, I think some of the links lead to information about products in which I am interested. Secondly, I have read that SMC gets some financial benefit from the ads, especially if I buy something through a link from the forums.

I will answer Pat Barry's question of why it matters whether I trade with companies whose views differ from my own. In this day and time, money is influence. I don't want to contribute to the profits of a business that uses them to promote ideas and policies with which I disagree. If everyone had the same attitude as Chase and myself, companies which promote things a majority thinks are bad would wither. That is a good thing.
    So you actually do click on ads? I've never clicked one in my life, and am kind of surprised to hear that anyone does.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    So you actually do click on ads? I've never clicked one in my life, and am kind of surprised to hear that anyone does.
    I've clicked on plenty of "ads", by that I mean the links in postings by members. Like Bridge City or Woodpecker tools that are being discussed for whatever reason. I'll probably never own a Bridge City tool but it's nice to look. Still to me that qualifies as an ad of sorts.

There's a few SMC ads that I've clicked on that look interesting. It hasn't killed me yet.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    So there I was, sitting on my boat at the dock. The wife and a few ladies from nearby boats were sitting around having drinks and chatting about a certain adult toy. All of the ladies decided I should place an Amazon order on their behalf, as most of them didn't use it and/or didn't have Amazon Prime. Imagine my Amazon recommendations after order a bunch of those...

Also, the conversations next weekend were interesting.

I'm getting a boat. My boat-less discussions are a whole lot less interesting!

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    I've clicked on plenty of "ads", by that I mean the links in postings by members. Like Bridge City or Woodpecker tools that are being discussed for whatever reason. I'll probably never own a Bridge City tool but it's nice to look. Still to me that qualifies as an ad of sorts.
    I think that's the exact opposite of an ad, and does have value. I click links from real humans all the time, just not ads. If YOU tell me about a product you really like, I'm going to believe you. If an ad tells me something, I figure it's a lie until proven otherwise.

Ever wonder why most insurance ads are so silly? Why don't insurance companies just say our product is better or cheaper? Here's my theory.

I get quotes on all my insurance every 3 years. I've learned insurance companies don't reward loyalty, they charge you more the longer you stay with them.

I avoid the companies that have the most adds when getting quotes. By law your getting the same coverage or product from every company. Advertising costs money so the more adds the more they need to charge for insurance.

My wife managed 2 different national branded gas stations at the same time. There were lots of ads at the time saying each brand was better. They ads painted the similar picture that brand x was " better for your engine" or "gave you more performance" Both brands averaged 15% higher at the pump. The same bulk delivery truck always filled both different brands and the discount non- branded station down the street with the exact same gasoline. I'm guessing all those ads cost enough they had to charge 15% more.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Arco was "the cheap gas" for a long time. I know that gas is all the same, but a shocking number of my friends and family thought there was a difference, and refused to use Arco. So now Arco invented their fake "top tier gas" marketing campaign to convince people that...well, it's all the same gas...

American Family has rewarded us for being a customer for over 15 years. They actually have increased coverage and reduced costs without being asked. When we shop it, they are always competitive. When we've had claims, EVERY time they have gone well beyond what we expected. The coverage may look the same, but I've also had a claim with a company that took months to get taken care and they never got it right. So they are not all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    Ever wonder why most insurance ads are so silly? Why don't insurance companies just say our product is better or cheaper? Here's my theory.

I get quotes on all my insurance every 3 years. I've learned insurance companies don't reward loyalty, they charge you more the longer you stay with them.

I avoid the companies that have the most adds when getting quotes. By law your getting the same coverage or product from every company. Advertising costs money so the more adds the more they need to charge for insurance.

My wife managed 2 different national branded gas stations at the same time. There were lots of ads at the time saying each brand was better. They ads painted the similar picture that brand x was " better for your engine" or "gave you more performance" Both brands averaged 15% higher at the pump. The same bulk delivery truck always filled both different brands and the discount non- branded station down the street with the exact same gasoline. I'm guessing all those ads cost enough they had to charge 15% more.
    I've got Farmers insurance (home, auto, etc). Have been with them for years, probably 20 +. I never compared prices and will not. Why, because every claim I've had has been dealt with absolutley perfect manner. No reason to switch, even if I could save a few measly bucks. I think there is merit to being loyal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I've got Farmers insurance (home, auto, etc). Have been with them for years, probably 20 +. I never compared prices and will not. Why, because every claim I've had has been dealt with absolutley perfect manner. No reason to switch, even if I could save a few measly bucks. I think there is merit to being loyal.

I felt the same as you. I was with the same insurance company for around 30 years.
    My insurance bill was due last fall and it went up again so I got a quote just to compare.
    I was getting way over charged. So bad my new agent stayed almost two hours after closing to keep checking her figures. She was concerned she had made a mistake.
    Was not just a few measly bucks. Was over $1,000 a year.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    By law your getting the same coverage or product from every company.
    This is not accurate. They all must provide the same minimum coverages are required by the particular state's insurance commission, but there is, in fact, a lot of variability in coverage between companies and individual policies, both for auto insurance and for homeowner's insurance. Sometimes it's the "little things" that separate the better choice from others, not necessarily raw cost.

That said, I did make a carrier change in our insurance two years ago when the auto insurance company I had been using for years (at very competitive rates) suddenly wanted "the mint" when my younger daughter got her license. They became the most expensive of all I got quotes from. AAA beat everybody and I moved our home and umbrella to them for even greater savings.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-23-2018 at 7:08 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I did not read through all the post above.
    The only ads I hate are the ones that pop up when you are trying to read a story or the like. Keeps moving the print around. News web pages seem to be the worse.

Having said that I don't mind seeing ads. I have gotten some great deals that way.
    Just yesterday an ad came up on my facebook page. I am doing research on buying a new bicycle. The ad yesterday was for a bike brand that I was unaware of and "Look" to be just what I been interested in. I need to do some more research but glad I saw the ad and now have another choice.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    This is not accurate. They all must provide the same minimum coverages are required by the particular state's insurance commission, but there is, in fact, a lot of variability in coverage between companies and individual policies, both for auto insurance and for homeowner's insurance. Sometimes it's the "little things" that separate the better choice from others, not necessarily raw cost.

That said, I did make a carrier change in our insurance two years ago when the auto insurance company I had been using for years (at very competitive rates) suddenly wanted "the mint" when my younger daughter got her license. They became the most expensive of all I got quotes from. AAA beat everybody and I moved our home and umbrella to them for even greater savings.
    What I mean Jim is when you get a policy for say $500 deductible and $500,000 liability that's what you get. That's regulated by the state here.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford