Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: How does Advertising and Promotion Influence You?

We were just invited to be a TV viewing study family, and get paid for it. It will be interesting to see how long they let that go on when they see that we never view one single ad at all, since I'm sure that's what they want to track. They say the average family stays with them for two years, I bet in three months they ask for the equipment back and cancel us.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    We were just invited to be a TV viewing study family, and get paid for it. It will be interesting to see how long they let that go on when they see that we never view one single ad at all, since I'm sure that's what they want to track. They say the average family stays with them for two years, I bet in three months they ask for the equipment back and cancel us.
    We have a similar invite, but unless everyone in the household participates, it's a no go. (The invite we have is for both TV and radio as it turns out) Wearing a pendant is offensive to at least one family member for sure! The girls don't listen to commercial radio...they have Spotify subscriptions and Professor Dr. SWMBO and I only listen to non-commercial radio. Other than the morning news, there's almost zero TV watching other than Colbert off Apple TV via a CBS subscription with limited commercials. I'm afraid we'd be very boring for their study!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    We have a similar invite, but unless everyone in the household participates, it's a no go. (The invite we have is for both TV and radio as it turns out) Wearing a pendant is offensive to at least one family member for sure! The girls don't listen to commercial radio...they have Spotify subscriptions and Professor Dr. SWMBO and I only listen to non-commercial radio. Other than the morning news, there's almost zero TV watching other than Colbert off Apple TV via a CBS subscription with limited commercials. I'm afraid we'd be very boring for their study!
    That's a different system. This one is passive and requires no active participation. There will be a small computer and an eyeball tracker installed. "Just watch TV normally." It doesn't do radio (does that still exist, and why?) or other media. For music we're now iTunes only as we've pretty much given up on Android and Alexa.

The Neilson survey we're invited to is also passive...the pendant each person has to wear picks up some audio signal from both TV and radio to ascertain whatever they are tracking.
    --

This is another company, not Neilson. What I mean by passive is that people never do anything at all. The system is totally automated and auto-detects who is who and where they are looking. If you visit my house you will be identified as a stranger and not tracked, since you didn't agree to it.

I can only imagine the eye rolls that system would bring here...with rare exceptions, such as a PSU football game or Master Chef, all the TV watching here is in private bedrooms. Any idea of "tracking" anything there would be shot down, given that darling daughters are adults and, um...
    --

Yeah, they specifically ask about locations and will only put these in "public" spaces. I mean, we know it's not sending back live human images, but that's still their policy.

I mean, we know it's not sending back live human images...
    Ok, I'll bite: how do you know that?
    ("Eyeball tracking" implies "camera", unless they're making you wear some sort of special glasses.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Ok, let me state it this way: Their technical documents, service agreement, and privacy policy all show that they are not doing that. If they are doing so secretly, there's no way to know. Any electronic device could be doing things without your knowledge, we just believe they are doing what is actually in the technical specifications. I don't actually care either way, but read through all the tech specs and every word in the agreement.

Ok, let me state it this way: Their technical documents, service agreement, and privacy policy all show that they are not doing that. If they are doing so secretly, there's no way to know. Any electronic device could be doing things without your knowledge, we just believe they are doing what is actually in the technical specifications. I don't actually care either way, but read through all the tech specs and every word in the agreement.
    Fair enough...you just didn't strike me as the type to take "trust me" as a definitive answer.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

LOL, true, though to some extent if a company has a good reputation and puts together a reasonable contract and ToS, I do trust them. In this case what they do is get facial recognition of each person, with one photo sent (you review, approve) then the system just sends them "what is this person looking at."