Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How does Advertising and Promotion Influence You?

How does Advertising and Promotion Influence You?

It seems like every image or theme I see is put there by some interest who paid to put it there. I ask myself who wants me to believe this and why?
    Unless I'm talking to a friend, or outside in the wild I'm a potential target. Everyone is after eyeballs these days.

For a long time there was an hour of local and national news a day. Now with
    24 hour news channels could advertising and promotion be the main culprit behind "fake news" on either side of an issue? To sell ads and grab eyeballs you've got to make something into "breaking news".

Didn't Facebook's troubles start from the need for advertising revenue and selling data to influence people?

I did some research on a big medical decision 15 years ago. I was getting info from the internet that seemed unbiased. As I looked deeper I found most of the websites were run by the drug company that provided the "only" treatment I needed. They call this "astroturfing" it's a common practice. I was skeptical and got true unbiased info that was a lifesaver for me.

I'm old enough to make my own decisions. I do love Sawmillcreek's ads, but most advertisers and salespeople don't like me
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 04-16-2018 at 4:10 PM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

People need to realize that if they are not the customer they are the product, period. Nothing in life is free.

Fake news is generated by ideologues whose cause is unpersuasive if only the truth is told.

Marketing does not affect people over 35 much. By that age brand loyalty and experience is too hard to overcome. Most marketing is designed for heads filled with mush.

Being 68, I can concur with what Mike just posted. If everyone was like me, there would be no such thing as salespeople, or advertising-at least not on the internet.

Why not cough up $6 to be a contributor and make all those ads will go away?

I'll tell you how one type of marketing influences me. I am less inclined to buy a product if it has a celebrity endorsement. If a product has a celebrity endorsement I assume the celebrity is receiving a payment for each item sold so unless I know the celebrity is donating all the payments to a charitable cause I would be less likely to buy the product. If I did buy the product it would be despite the endorsement.

Advertising doesn't affect me because most of it I don't see. I use ad blockers and if I have to see it, I just ignore it. I've been ignoring it for so long that I honestly don't even know it's going on most of the time. I just tune it out automatically.

Blog Entries
    Just like NEWS headlines or NEWS-Show trailers, advertisements are there to catch your ear or eye. They affect me by making me aware of something that might be interesting. I always vet everything myself.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Advertising and promotion, when obvious (like celebrity endorsements), affect me by making me disregard it. Like probably many here, I don’t look for advertisements to sell me, I look for specifications – and thanks to the internet, I look for customer reviews. Some of them may be faked, but it doesn't seem so for the products I look for (mostly tools and repair parts).

It is often hard to find real specifications, though – and when a product like a tool has poorly-written specs or missing details, I often pass it by because I feel the makers aren’t invested in their product; they may just be making a knockoff of the real thing. It is nearly impossible to find actual specs on something like a raincoat unless it was made for climbing Mt. Everest, but you can find reviews.

When I went to buy my new truck a couple of years ago, I wanted a few performance-related features but the manufacturers would only really list navigation systems, seat textiles, and the ease of ability to control truck features with an iPhone. You really had to look to find information on gearing, hauling capacity, etc. The best place for information like that was on owner’s forums (fora), where you quickly learn the “common knowledge” failures and features of a brand or a product.

I wouldn’t go laying advertising susceptibility at the feet of the young; they’re surely not the only ones. I’ve had to ‘see’ (not watch) daytime TV while undergoing physical therapy lately and all the advertising is geared for mature audiences, from laundry detergent to memory enhancers, non-prescription erectile dysfunction cures to elder-care facilities. Someone is buying that stuff, and it isn’t millennials.

Marketing is a huge business and thanks to so many people being 'accessible' now almost every minute through their phones, there are countless ways for them to be influenced- Facebook sites, fake news, spoofing/ viral rumors, phone marketing, spam, phishing, etc., etc.. Practical people spend consciously, but so many people today don't - they spend reflexively, and that leads to all this marketing garbage we have to deal with. It's not evil, it's the market the majority of consumers have created by responding to that kind of marketing. Just like Wal-Mart; it wouldn't exist if most people didn't value cheapness over quality or country of origin.

well, that's my opinion at least.

I can say that "in general", most advertising doesn't compel me to go out and make a purchase, but that statement would be incomplete in that sometimes some advertising does help me identify choices and do more research. Some advertising these days is pretty entertaining, too, even when it's not for something I'm remotely interested in.

Marketing is an essential part of any business. There are responsible advertisers and there are reprehensible advertisers along with a whole lot that are somewhere in the middle, depending on the phase of the moon, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Andersson View Post
    Like probably many here, I don’t look for advertisements to sell me, I look for specifications – and thanks to the internet, I look for customer reviews. Some of them may be faked, but it doesn't seem so for the products I look for (mostly tools and repair parts).
    Yes Karl, you sound like me.

I made things for a living and was self employed. Many here make things too. Maybe that's why we're skeptical of ads.

As a maker, specifications can equate to $. I'd often bid 2 prices, plain and deluxe. Deluxe was called Museum Quality as I got better at marketing.
    When your a Maker you look at what's in things and what holds them together.
    If it's products on Amazon or the grocery store shelf I look at the specs or ingredients list not the LABEL. Your buying the ingredients.

fakespot dotcom is a review of Amazon reviews. My tests of it with products I own prove it's worth using.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

It's pretty much a given these days that you will be bombarded by advertising. I stopped with my wife this morning to gas up her car. The gas pump had a display screen that was running a sports talk show and commercials. On a gas pump no less. What's this world coming to when people need to be entertained while pumping gas?

I refuse to but anything even if I needed to from some entity that has irritated me. The other night my favorite show (Last Man Standing) was preempted for an infomercial on the upcoming Parade of Homes event. At that moment I made the decision to not attend the Parade this year. It aggravated me to have my show preempted.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

My household hasn't had regular TV in 15 years, so we're not exposed to ads and the garbage between shows, or the "news" that is just selling you BS and fake news. It's such a huge feeling of freedom when you're not caught up in the cycle of garbage and hype. Our kid never asked for the hottest new must-have toy because he wasn't being told he needed it. Etc. I also run ad-blocking on both the computers and devices as well as our main home router. Nothing gets through.

When I'm exposed to advertising, I feel angry at the company that foisted it upon me, and think less of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Fake news is generated by ideologues whose cause is unpersuasive if only the truth is told.
    Another way of looking at your comment is that news is deemed "fake" when the news outlet's version of the truth is different than the recipient's version of the truth. We live in a time when you can pick and choose the truth you want to hear and consider everything else fake.

Back to marketing, I think the whole science of neuro marketing is very interesting. Basically this field uses functional MRI to study how people's brains react to messages and stimuli in subconscious and subliminal ways that are not necessarily apparent to us. This near involuntary part of the brain is called the Reptilian brain and it is highly influential over our decisions. You cannot control the deep brain chemistry activity and trick the MRI unless you are a tibetan monk capable of going into a very unique deep state of meditation.

My point - most of us are much more heavily influenced by sophisticated marketing than we think (or than we'd like to think). This has been proven to apply to all demographic groups, and all ages, including those over 35.
    Edwin
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 04-17-2018 at 1:46 PM.