Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: How does Advertising and Promotion Influence You?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The electronic billboards are a really interesting thing...the billboard companies can now sell the same space to multiple advertisers at the same time and the very act of the display changing makes people look. These things only need a few seconds of attention to be effective in most cases to folks susceptible to advertising. Honestly, I prefer them to old, static and degrading traditional fixed billboards and there are fewer of the physical presences along the roads at this point, at least toward my eyes.
    I remember when advertisers had to be smart and funny to get your attention. Like the old Burma Shave billboards.

I looked into doing a billboad a few years ago and the static ones were about 30% cheaper than the electronic ones because just as you say Jim, the changing action results in more eyeballs and attention.

The advertising I hate the most are robo calls from 'Amber' telling me not to hang up as she has important information for me. Yeah, right.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

If the world was like me, there would be no advertising. I turn off sound on the TV during commercials. I throw away soliciting mail before even opening the envelope. The moment a YouTube ad allows turning off the ad, I do. If they make you watch the whole thing I either turn off the sound or move on. And don't get me started on campaign advertising. I avoid it like the plague.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    If the world was like me, there would be no advertising.
    While I can appreciate that many find advertising annoying...without it, we'd all be living in the "stone age" because nobody would know about nice inventions, such as Euro jointer/planers and wireless phones.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    While I can appreciate that many find advertising annoying...without it, we'd all be living in the "stone age" because nobody would know about nice inventions, such as Euro jointer/planers and wireless phones.
    Yeah, and I'd have a really nice bank account!
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Yeah, and I'd have a really nice bank account!
    Oh!!! I love this.....yea....this right here.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Mobile phones have been making and saving me money, even back to the days when they were 900MHz trunking radios.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I just search all 5 pages of this thread. One word that's missing:

BILLBOARD

You can't drive a mile anywhere in this country without passing 20 billboards, half of them these days are just big screen TV's. (<just guessing at stats here )

You can't escape advertising, that's about all I have to say about it
    I can't stand those things and deliberately divert my line of sight away from them. Many of them are so bright that you will be temporarily blinded if you look at them at night.

Some of the direct mail political advertisements are only effective at showing me who I should NOT vote for. Sending multiple oversized hard cardboard flyers per day is not going to convince me that they are the "candidate to reduce waste in our government".

Steve
    Steve

Showing up at my door, ignoring the very obvious "no soliciting/no politics/no religion sign, and ringing the bell to get the dogs to go crazy was also not a great way for some local candidate to make an impression. Well, an impression was made, but the opposite of the intended one.

If the world was like me, there would be no advertising. I turn off sound on the TV during commercials. I throw away soliciting mail before even opening the envelope. The moment a YouTube ad allows turning off the ad, I do. If they make you watch the whole thing I either turn off the sound or move on. And don't get me started on campaign advertising. I avoid it like the plague.
    A lot of people (many in this thread) hold this same opinion. In reality, I believe billion dollar corporations are not stupid, nor shy about hiring the brightest marketing minds around to apply sophisticated techniques to their marketing and advertising objectives.
    These people are ingenious at stealth forms of marketing that are placing stimuli all around us in ways we don't notice, and are designed to influence us subconsciously. There are very few ways to be as "free" of advertising as you might think you are. For example, short of living in the wilderness and being cut off from basically every modern form of information, you are being exposed to one form of advertising or another throughout your day, probably hundreds, maybe thousands of times. Yes, it is easy discard the more primitive media like discarding envelopes and fast forwarding through commercials. What about the subtle product placement in the movies and shows you watch. Even the use of music in association with a product in a movie is a form of marketing designed to elicit an emotional response. You're exposed to a lot more than just the road and the other cars in your daily commute. One of the most clever types is product evangelism, a lot of which is present right here on SMC in one form or another ranging from innocent to totally planted.

Even the lighting patterns in stores, malls, Home Depot, have been designed and thought through in a way the studies have revealed influence our walking paths and attention direction with surprising effectiveness. Use of color is a big one too. Packaging has a surprising impact also. These people are geniuses.
    And to Jim's point, not all advertising is nefarious. It's an important part of our economic engine and a mode of information (albeit usually biased). It's just important for the consumer to be aware and do his/her best to make objective, rational and intelligent spending decisions, to which it sounds like you are doing a great job, perhaps just not as free of influence as you might think.
    Edwin

I haven't seen anyone claim to be free of influence, hence the point of doing what you can to avoid exposure. And no, marketing is not all nefarious, but it's never quite the truth either, and almost never useful to the target. It's a scourge that exists, just like spam and scams, because some number of people fall for it. Nobody is arguing that marketing overall doesn't net some dollars for the perpetrators.

One thing I'd love to find out is just how much an eyeball is worth in TV viewing. Some places sell shows for $2 or even $3 if you get them ad-free without a network subscription. Is an average viewer honestly worth that much? That seems crazy.

I worked in a grocery store for years. The store regularly ran the store-labeled milk on sale for about half the price of Borden. Occasionally, I would tell customers buying the expensive milk about the sale and was quite surprised when they asked if the cheaper milk was from different cows.

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    they asked if the cheaper milk was from different cows.
    Well, that's technically true, isn't it? And I grew up next to a dairy farm; their stuff tasted completely different from whatever the big brand was at the time. Not just due to freshness, because a week-old bottle still tasted different. I won't jump into "better" or "worse" but clearly different.

The only milk I could stand was the raw milk that lasted a couple days, and is now illegal.

BTW parents, don't force your kids to drink cow milk. I was allergic, and everyone thought I was just being a whiny brat.

Apparently, overall... advertising works.

Maybe not so much for independently thinking folks, but the majority, I don't think are thinkers.

What else would explain the HUGE predominance of "Bud Light" ??

The taste ???

PLEEEEEZ.

And, the deeply ingrained in culture "Marlboro" smokes.

Even though they don't have the advertising years ago, it was soo wide and deep, people still are indirectly affected by it.

Crazy.

$65 + / carton or more.

Unfortunately, I do smoke... But .. I buy the $1.30 / pack "filtered little cigars"

The only diff from cigarettes is brown paper, not white.

$13/ carton... not $60 +.

Taxing $ diff of technically not being "Cigarettes" ONLY due to brown paper, not white.

AFAIK anyway.

Point is.. I have given these a few times to acquaintances that were not aware of them...

Nope, they all stuck w Marlboro, even though a few of them are very very low income elderly.

Crazy.

Interestingly, I substantially prefer WalMart Great value Sour cream, over the major advertised Daisy, and at approx 60% the price of Daisy.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 09-16-2018 at 9:06 PM.
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    Well, that's technically true, isn't it? And I grew up next to a dairy farm; their stuff tasted completely different from whatever the big brand was at the time. Not just due to freshness, because a week-old bottle still tasted different. I won't jump into "better" or "worse" but clearly different.

The only milk I could stand was the raw milk that lasted a couple days, and is now illegal.

BTW parents, don't force your kids to drink cow milk. I was allergic, and everyone thought I was just being a whiny brat.
    My wife's father owned a dairy and she grew up drinking only fresh milk brought home every day. She turned out just fine.

Blog Entries
    The corollary to this thread is, "What is an honest marketer to do?".

-- I accept only calls from people I know. I pay for and use NoMoRobo
    -- Junk mail never makes it into the house.
    -- I use spam filters (not perfect) and have a hair trigger for the stuff that slips through.
    -- I use an ad blocker. It gets in my way sometimes but it's worth it to kill pop-ups
    -- We dvr all tv shows and fast forward through commercials

The only marketing that I really see are movie trailers (I like them), product placement in scripted tv shows, adds in woodworking magazines and miscellaneous signs and billboards. Most of that stuff would have only a subliminal effect on me (I hope).

So my question is what is an honest marketer to do to get my attention for a product that I may actually want? The unscrupulous ones appear to have poisoned every well. I don't understand why the real businesses with real reputations to protect don't band together and create an ethical marketing system. Maybe something where I could reveal that I'm interested in buying something and set a time limit on receiving advertising for that item until I turn it off.