Thread: 20mm Bench dogs need - no rim, double hole at least 50mm tall

20mm Bench dogs need - no rim, double hole at least 50mm tall

I came up with an idea for a couple of jigs. I found a couple of knob that looked good for the application but were not square at all and not really suitable for precision work. I use wrench sockets that might be ok but they are too long or too short. Here we go: I am looking for 20mm Bench dogs with no rim/collar about 50mm tall (aprox 2"tall) and throughout hole. TSO made some that might work (although they have a collar) but they are only 30mm from the collar and I need more than that. I do not have capability to machine anything like this on my own. Any idea?
    Note: Qwas dogs are too long and they have hole only on one side.
    Thanks
    I own: TSO stubby and std and Veritas Parf dogs - Parf Guide

Blog Entries
    Does it have to be exactly 20mm?

Would 3/4" dowel stock work?

Most of the time when something like that is needed in my shop it is turned on my lathe. It is faster for me than running into town.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yes, they have to be 20mm diameter and fit perfectly the MFT I made with the Parf Guide. So they need to be equivalent to TSO/Veritas 20 mm bench dogs. Dowel are made of wood and prone to temp changes...they also need to be perfectly square (parallel to a straight rule) so metal should be the way to go. Aluminium or SS.
    I went to check if 3/4 rods/dowels would work (hoping they were slightly bigger) but they do not. I use some wrench socket but I need the right length which is not available in wrench sockets .

Blog Entries
    I use some wrench socket but I need the right length which is not available in wrench sockets .
    A common story in the world of things mechanical. Mine is a 10mm deep Snap-On socket that is perfect for centering an air cooled VW clutch plate during installation. Haven't needed that for a long time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Will 20mm rod work? Cut to length. If you need a collar there are stock shaft collars. Internet search finds these cheap.

C