Thread: Best book on carving lettering

Best book on carving lettering

I know there are a lot of books on carving letters, etc. Many seem simplistic. I'm looking for any opinions on a good text with a lot of pictures and detailed descriptions on the what and how (e.g., raised and incised lettering, which tools for which situations, how to navigate the cuts, a lot of specifics, and tricks of the trade).

I realize there's a lot of practice involved and a learning curve, but I would like to accelerate the process as much as possible. Most of my experience has been along the lines of chip carving (not what I'm interested in), so this will be a branching out so to speak.

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

-ajh

I am very fond of Michael Harvey's _Creative Lettering Today_ which is a compilation of four of his books, including _Carving Letters in Stone & Wood_ --- fortunately it's back in print, for a while it was well into 3 digits.

Thanks. Will check.

Chris Pye has a book out on the subject.. Lettercarving in Wood: A Practical Course. I have this, and found it very helpful. He is very detailed with how and why.

There are a bunch of video tutorials on youtube about letter carving with different techniques using different chisels from V's to #1 straights, even chip carving knives. Personally, I like a V used in a reciprocating handpiece on a flexshaft.
    Paul